MIDIbox SEQ V3.3

TK.

Should be possible (nice idea to control the tempo with a bassdrum ;))

Just a thought, while you're in that area...

the roland 'V-drums' system allowed the user to assign a 'sequence' of notes to the bass drum pad, so that with each kick, you would also hear a different bass note in sequence.

I imagine the main idea is that it's a sequence where the main clock is provided not by the internal processor, but by the kick drum pad.

Possible?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I imagine the main idea is that it's a sequence where the main clock is provided not by the internal processor, but by the kick drum pad.

Cannot be realized with the existing concepts, but it's a nice application for a seperate core which somebody else could program (e.g. in C)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

- after releasing the button function, [glow=red,2,300]continue with the step which would be played if you wouldn't activate the function [/glow] (in other words: if you activate the function for 4 16th note steps, the track would continue with the 5th step)

I did think about this and it makes good sense time wise. Me likey

And about the speeding up and down part I was thinking of having control over the studdering step repeat effect so it goes ddddddddddddddd d d d d d d d  d  d  d  d  d  d  d  d  d  d    d    d    d    d      d      d        d . Sorry only way to describe effect  ;) I would think maybe just adjusting the actual song tempo would work fine yes? I just wouldn't have control of individual track stutter speed. :-\ The idea of having individual tempo/divider control of every track that would revert back to master sync tempo/divider after doing repeat steps would be very attractive. I can dream.

- optional 2x, 3x or 4x multi-triggers per step

Are you saying have the repeated step trigger 2x speed, 3x speed , 4x speed or trigger only 2 times, 3 time , 4times? I was thinking hold the special button down untill you want to stop repeating. I kinda understand the functionality your describing though.

I think a menu would be awsome regardless. :)

Now only if it could scramble radar transmissions in sync with the beat  :P

TK your a man on a mission.

Cannot be realized with the existing concepts, but it's a nice application for a seperate core which somebody else could program (e.g. in C)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Perhaps a clock box to convert the note to clock signal, then slave the SEQ to the ClockBox?

Yes, this has been changed, but it is a feature :)

This will show the edit screen so long you press&hold the layer button, and the message will disappear 2 seconds after the button has been depressed.

Very nice for quickly checking, which events are played by a track without changing into the edit screen. You don't need to remember, how to enter the current menu page again.

It's especially nice in conjunction with the step recording function, because it allows you to check the recorded values without leaving recording mode.

yes, because it's only a layer display, and not layer edit mode

Really? Why not pressing the edit button if you want to edit a layer?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok TK.. get the picture now I thougt it was ment to stay in edit mode.... sorry.... still some weird things going on if you use the GP buttons/encoders in layer display! And I do use the edit button... ;) ...it´s a nice feature now that I got it explained.

Yesterday I was running the sequencer in song mode (phrase or song doesn't matter) and noticed the following: the LEDs of the Group/Track and Trigger/Layer were acting like 'Disco Lights' (short blinking in a random order/selection). ;-) As I remember correctly this was not the case with v3.2. I also tried to recognize a pattern or something that would make sence here but there was nothing of this kind. Can anybody confirm this?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, mine do the same, also on the pattern screen.

After switching back to v3.2c the flickering is gone. Means it only occurs with the latest version (v3.3).

Another annoying thing I found on the song page is the following. On this page you can switch between pattern and bank selection with the eighth encoder. When switching from bank selection to pattern selection the last modified bank value changes to a random value. So a controlled input of banks and patterns is not possible. This occurs in v3.2 and also in v3.3.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks for reporting, I'm working on the bugfixes. Meanwhile I also found the root cause for display artifacts and started to overwork the message handling, but it needs much more time to solve this properly than expected.

Btw.: the application is running out of memory, here I need to find a solution as well... (optimizing some redundant parts)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok, after a lot of changes it seems to work stable again :)

MIDIbox SEQ V3.3c

Mainly bugfixes:

- fixed disco lights in pattern page

- layer button functions now also accessible in mute/pattern page. When pressed, it gives you a quick view of the selected track/layer

- this screen now disappears immediately when layer button released (it seems, that the delay was too confusing)

- bank/pattern switch in song mode working properly again

- polyphonic chords can now also be entered in step recording mode w/o stopping the sequencer

- new MIDI remote keyboard functions, especially useful for live/step recording:

C-7 + A-4: Decrement step

C-7 + B-4: Increment step

C-7 + A#4: Toggle gate of selected step

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Wow, that was fast!

> bank/pattern switch in song mode working properly again

Still not working. When I switch between 'Bnk' or 'Pat' selection with the eighth encoder after changing a value for a group the value still changes back to the previous selected value. Or maybe I don't know how to use this screen properly. Please explain. ;)

Found a small display bug on the edit screen. The display of the selected group and track eg G1T1 in the top left corner on this screen displays a wrong character when selecting track 3 or 4 of a group regardless which group is selected.

G1T1 -> G1T2 -> G1Tx -> G1Tx

Still not working. When I switch between 'Bnk' or 'Pat' selection with the eighth encoder after changing a value for a group the value still changes back to the previous selected value. Or maybe I don't know how to use this screen properly. Please explain. ;)

I'm sure that this has been fixed

Could you please press the EXIT button and check the version number? It should be v3.3c

Found a small display bug on the edit screen. The display of the selected group and track eg G1T1 in the top left corner on this screen displays a wrong character when selecting track 3 or 4 of a group regardless which group is selected.

G1T1 -> G1T2 -> G1Tx -> G1Tx

There is no routine which could display "G1Tx", and with my installation the track number is correctly displayed.

Did you receive error messages during the upload?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I'm sure that this has been fixed

Could you please press the EXIT button and check the version number? It should be v3.3c

My display shows v3.3c. I did a rebuild of the hex file and an upload of mios 1.9f and the seq 3.3c app and now the pattern/bank selection works flawless.

There is no routine which could display "G1Tx", and with my installation the track number is correctly displayed.

Did you receive error messages during the upload?

No errors while uploading. Here is a picture to show you what I mean. This error still exists on my seq.

3492_seq_gtd_jpg185f84b9c7bcb523769ff40d

This error still exists on my seq.

While optimizing the app for code size, I touched the error by myself. Thats a nasty one! It only appears when the CS_M_HLP_PrnTrk_Tab table in cs_m_hlp.inc is (was) located between two 256 byte pages - since my own setup is a bit different (e.g. AOUT driver enabled), I never noticed this by myself ;)

A new release will be available soon. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

For the planned SEQ 4.0 hardware upgrade: Might the CAN network be a possibility, to communicate directly with something like the MB6582 (notes and controllers) for that perfect timing not possible via MIDI?  :D

Please do not lose the 8 gate outs, which are said to fire simultaneously. Those of us who love our analog synth percussion to line up perfectly would miss this...

(I'm just finishing up my UltraCore, and in the time I've been slowly building, you've announced several OS upgrades- amazing. Thanks!!!)

For the planned SEQ 4.0 hardware upgrade: Might the CAN network be a possibility, to communicate directly with something like the MB6582 (notes and controllers) for that perfect timing not possible via MIDI?  :D

no problem, CAN/MBNet will be natively supported by MIOS32 (but why requesting it in this thread?)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 months later...

How difficult would it be to add another 8 analog outs for a total of 16 analog steps? I am trying to decide whether to build a MIDIbox SEQ or just to go with an analog sequencer. I only have a few digital synths and those already have sequencers built in (DSI evolver & PolyEvolver).

Sorry if this question is in the wrong thread.

thanks

How difficult would it be to add another 8 analog outs for a total of 16 analog steps? I am trying to decide whether to build a MIDIbox SEQ or just to go with an analog sequencer. I only have a few digital synths and those already have sequencers built in (DSI evolver & PolyEvolver).

The J5 analogue outs are just gates, so you can use them on their own to trigger old school sequencers or arpeggiators in synths like SH-101's or Juno 60's etc.. If you need more than 8 gate outs, then you can install an extra DOUT board and get something stupid like 48 extra trigger outs, however these have (I think) a fixed duration of 1ms, unlike the J5 Gate outs (8 of them) which can be any length you wish.

From reading you post, I think you might feel the 8 gate outs are for a different purpose than what they are.. they are not used in the same way as an analogue sequencer, more like another way of triggering things.

I think that the MB-SEQ is waaaaaaaaaay better than the PolyEvolvers... well, in my limited time of using the DSI stuff.. your results may vary... I use my SEQ's to control quite a bit of kit, both analogue & digital.

Sorry if this question is in the wrong thread.

thanks

You don't need 16 analogue outs to get 16 steps. You need 16 analogue outs if you need 16 discrete control voltages...

Yes Tilted, that is exactly what I need. Sorry for the confusion. I understand the difference.

To correct my original question then, how difficult would it be to add another 8 control voltage outs? I'd like to have all of the very cool features found in the SEQ V3.3 in addition to a killer analog sixteen step sequencer. There are definitely enough gate outputs already.

Thanks for the replies.

i'm about to make use of the aout w/ seq myself "soon"

to be clear, you only need 1 analog out to get 32, 64, 128 etc steps

the voltage at each output will follow steps that are assigned to it.

most analog seq only have 1, here you already have 8.

make the mb-seq!

same goes for gates, btw...

how difficult would it be to add another 8 control voltage outs? I'd like to have all of the very cool features found in the SEQ V3.3 in addition to a killer analog sixteen step sequencer. There are definitely enough gate outputs already.

Assuming you want a sequencer that has 16 CV outs... (Which means, that coupled with 16 gates, you could be controlling up to 16 analog monosynths at once) Thats not that difficult, just build a few midi-CV modules, and slap in in the same box and control them via midi... simple on paper.. but mildy ambitious in practice.

Much regards

Mike