SMD Soldering Practice/Learning Kit

frailn

For you MIDIbox FM fans, I found a Deluxe SMD Learn to Solder Kit for $28.95 USD. Free shipping until December 17th (just type in free shipping in the order comments box). Would be good for practice before taking your hand to the MIDIbox build. Here's the skinny:

Surface mount technology uses tiny leadless components, known as surface mount devices (SMDs), that are quickly replacing standard electronic components. Currently, most new electronic equipment incorporates this exciting new technology.

By completing this course, the student learns concepts about surface mount technology (SMT) such as: " Different Types of Surface Mount Devices (SMDs) " Various Types of Surface Mount Assemblies " Automated Soldering Methods " The Stages of Manual and Automated Assembly Processes of Surface Mount Circuits The student gains experience identifying, soldering and using surface mount devices by physically building an actual working surface mount technology project.

This course is the perfect introduction to SMT and does not require any previous knowledge of the topic. It was designed so that the teacher foes not need to be involved (unless he or she desires to be). The course is self-contained and reusable with the exception of the included "Learn to Solder Kit".

A small soldering iron with a fine pint and some solder is all that is required to build the included kit.

The Introduction to Surface Mount Technology Training Course with experimentation and project building comes with a detailed instruction manual, identification parts (both SMD and Standard), one "Deluxe SMD Learn to Solder Kit" and a magnifier with tweezers.

Personally I like the "get a bunch of cheap chips, no matter what they actually do and some test pcbs (from mouser, reichelt or conrad) and just try" approach better.

Not exactly cheap but I have got 4 SMD PIC16F4685's that I ordered for my midibox builds. That will teach me to properly read the item description.  :-[

I'm in the same boat. Anybody want a bunch of TL072 and LM2904's in SMT - cheap - like 10p each?

I had a first go by heat gunning some old chips off scrap computer boards, cleaning up the boards and then soldering them back on.

Still found the AVRx board a major test of skill, though the chips on the GM5 and the x0xb0x were easier after that.

If I can get a good result with my eyesight, then it's just a matter of practice.

Personally I like the "get a bunch of cheap chips, no matter what they actually do and some test pcbs (from mouser, reichelt or conrad) and just try" approach better.

word! nobody will teach you practice! i didn t know what SMD was 2 and half year ago ...now i can solder those 64 pins little IC (TSSOP ??) and it s fun! And i ve soldered just 3 SMD chips! All 3 of them worked at first attempt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
If the chips are expensive, and cost more than the adapters, then this is an answer.

So, are you thinking by using the adapters, if you mess up the SMD soldering, then you can just replace the adapter and start over rather than tearing up a good MidiBox PCB?

So, are you thinking by using the adapters, if you mess up the SMD soldering, then you can just replace the adapter and start over rather than tearing up a good MidiBox PCB?

No actually, though that is a good point. I was actually thinking of times when the SMT version of a chip is you can easily buy, or is much cheaper than the DIL version.

The AD633 multiplier used in Marc bareille's 'Warp' ring modulator is a good example. http://m.bareille.free.fr/modular1/warp633/warp633.htm.

In my case I used them because I had cheap adaptors from China, and a lot of SMT good quality op-amps.