sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

Don't worry, all 100 nF caps only exist to meet certain design rules, but your sammichSID will perfectly work even if they are not stuffed.

If you want to feel better, you can use *any* 100 nF cap that is available in your local electronic store, there is no need to spend some $$ for mouser shipping costs.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The part number for the radial 100nF capacitor is Mouser 80-C410C104K5R (if you're going to get it from Mouser, you might as well get the same as the rest!). Otherwise, I could just send you one in an envelope for free.

Finished my Sammich and in the process of painting right now. It is freaking awesome.

Had a question about the LCD I'm using.

It's this one here:

http://character-lcd-lcds.shopeio.com/inventory/details.asp?id=935&cat=Lcds&sub=Character%20Lcd

Spec Sheet:

http://character-lcd-lcds.shopeio.com/inventory/pdf/AMC2002C.pdf

I'm having trouble figuring out if it's low power or high power. Based on how I interpreted the spec sheet, it's low power and I set it that way on my Sammich just to be safe, but it's way dimmer than I expected, even at full brightness - not unreadable or unusable, but still pretty weak. Just wondering if it's not a particularly bright LCD or if I should be setting to to high power.

Thanks

I'm having trouble figuring out if it's low power or high power. Based on how I interpreted the spec sheet, it's low power and I set it that way on my Sammich just to be safe, but it's way dimmer than I expected, even at full brightness - not unreadable or unusable, but still pretty weak. Just wondering if it's not a particularly bright LCD or if I should be setting to to high power.

Datasheet shows two backlight options, yellow-green (LED array, 210 mA) and white (edge-lit, 40 mA). This red backlight LCD has a LED array, so it can take 210 mA and should be treated as "high-power" with respect to the build guide instructions. Take care to set the brightness pot at half-way (12 o'clock) to avoid oversupplying the backlight, since with JBL set to "12V" and a shunt in JR4, actual supply will vary when using unregulated power supplies.

Hi

New to the forums got some Q:s about the sammichSID wich look awsome.

Iv'e been looking on a few soultions to get some nice retrosid sounds back in my arsenal. Had a sidstation a few years back.

The sammichSID looks like something that my pretty avrage tech DIY building skills could cover.

I read something about sammichSID v3 using it as a synthesizer wich really got my attention.

Also saw some AbletonLive tools to make sounds for it wich look nice but i really want to be able to edit sounds in full depth.

Is that possible yet?

Also: Are there any tools for ripping and modify sounds from old c64 games and run them on sammichSID?

Uridium fire, Delta explosions and Arkaniod bumpersounds. you get the idea

best regards

/Klaustro

sammichSID is an implementation of MIDIbox SID V2 Synth, which uses two SIDs in a stereo pair.

Go to www.ucapps.de and click on the links in the left navigation bar under MIDIbox SID V2 Synth

Such as:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual.html

MIDIbox SID V2 Synth works like a SidStation - it's a MIDI controlled synth, with internally stored patches, loads of parameters for tweaking, etc. No disrespect towards SidStation, but MIDIbox SID has a lot more features in it's synth engine, and two SIDs sounds fatter in lead patches (Lead engine) and can be used for polyphonic patches (Multi engine) or two simultaneous bassline sequences (Bassline engine).

sammichSID is an implementation of MIDIbox SID V2 Synth, which uses two SIDs in a stereo pair.

Go to www.ucapps.de and click on the links in the left navigation bar under MIDIbox SID V2 Synth

Such as:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual.html

MIDIbox SID V2 Synth works like a SidStation - it's a MIDI controlled synth, with internally stored patches, loads of parameters for tweaking, etc. No disrespect towards SidStation, but MIDIbox SID has a lot more features in it's synth engine, and two SIDs sounds fatter in lead patches (Lead engine) and can be used for polyphonic patches (Multi engine) or two simultaneous bassline sequences (Bassline engine).

thanks for the quik reply.

I think you just sold another unit.

where do i sign up for the waiting list?

• 2 weeks later...

Datasheet shows two backlight options, yellow-green (LED array, 210 mA) and white (edge-lit, 40 mA). This red backlight LCD has a LED array, so it can take 210 mA and should be treated as "high-power" with respect to the build guide instructions. Take care to set the brightness pot at half-way (12 o'clock) to avoid oversupplying the backlight, since with JBL set to "12V" and a shunt in JR4, actual supply will vary when using unregulated power supplies.

Thanks for that, I switched it over to 12V - much better now.

Edited by skweeegor

UPDATE:

I am currently packing batches #9/#10. This was supposed to be May's batches (50 kits) but it has dragged on into June. I'm still waiting on case parts.

The matte black acrylic I use for cases is now out of stock, so I don't know when it will be back in stock. This might delay batches #11/#12 even more. Similarly, the Displaytech brand yellow-green LCDs I normally buy are out of stock. I've substituted some Winstar LCDs for this batch, and I will continue to use them in future, as they look a little better (black bezel, slightly better contrast).

Due to cancellations, people not ordering kits with SIDs, etc. I didn't run out of SIDs when I expected, so I still have a few left for some lucky people in batches #11/#12.

I need to work out how many more kits I'm making in the next two months so I can order more PCBs and not be overstocked. There's currently 104 orders on the waiting list, but how many of these will become confirmed orders, I don't know, especially since I won't have SIDs for most of them. I'm sure there are lots of people who won't want a kit if they can't get SIDs. So it seems likely that I will do 100 more kits which will cover everyone on the waiting list now, and then stop this continual production. I can make more in future, but the waiting list will have to get up to at least 50 kits.

Wallwart PSU from Amazon US

I found this pretty cheap wallwart on Amazon.com and looks like to be a good candidate and another source for a PSU. I intend to use this with my 6582 sammich.

* Fully Regulated 100V-240V can be used world wide

* 12V DC 500MA Switching Power Supply

* 6 Ft Long cord with center positive 2.1 MM jack

All the switchmode power supplies I've tried put noise on the audio outputs. They are not recommended (as I've stated in the build guide).

is it possible to add (hack) extra midibox sid appendages onto the Sammich? Extra sid boards, cv outputs etc?

or would be just as easy to start a fresh project?

Extra SID boards: MIDIbox SID is arranged as one Core8 module (PIC) for one or two SID modules. sammichSID is just one Core8 module and one "stereo" SID module, integrated onto one PCB, with connections to a separate control surface PCB which contains DIN and DOUT modules for switches, encoder and LEDs. So extra SIDs is only possible by connecting the sammichSID base to another Core8/SID module. (In theory, you could also connect to another sammichSID base PCB). So technically it's possible, but you would have to design a new case to fit it all in... and then also deal with there not being any SID 1, SID 2, etc. buttons on the control surface, so no (nice) way of controlling the other SID engines.

Similarly, anything you can do with a MIDIbox SID (like connect to an AOUT_NG module i.e. CV outputs to filters, connect to analog inputs i.e. joysticks, pots) is possible, all the ports are there to do it, but you'd have to work out how to enclose it all. It's obviously not designed for extra stuff added inside the case.

To answer your last question, it would be easier to get an MB-6582 base PCB and use that as a base for something more custom, or to have more SID modules. MB-6582 contains four Core8/stereo SID modules on it, but you don't have to use them all, and is certainly a lot easier to scale that down than scale sammichSID base PCB up.

All the switchmode power supplies I've tried put noise on the audio outputs. They are not recommended (as I've stated in the build guide).

Ha. I guess I probably should have realized switching/switchmode were one in the same. Should've figured there would be something wrong with this. :-p

Hopefully I can redeem myself with this :

It's the last model on this pdf :

Linear PSU Model : ST-1212-R0.5A

And here it is on Amazon for $11.95 US after shipping

Edited by Filch

You can has redemption. That one would be perfect for sammichSID, even when using 6581 SIDs, which require regulated 12V tip positive. However, regulated is better for 6582/8580 also... input voltage will be constant and just enough, keeping heatsink temperature dissipation to a minimum.

If you buy it and test it, then I can recommend it and you can haz moar redemption. Or a free frogurt!

Extra SID boards: MIDIbox SID is arranged as one Core8 module (PIC) for one or two SID modules. sammichSID is just one Core8 module and one "stereo" SID module, integrated onto one PCB, with connections to a separate control surface PCB which contains DIN and DOUT modules for switches, encoder and LEDs. So extra SIDs is only possible by connecting the sammichSID base to another Core8/SID module. (In theory, you could also connect to another sammichSID base PCB). So technically it's possible, but you would have to design a new case to fit it all in... and then also deal with there not being any SID 1, SID 2, etc. buttons on the control surface, so no (nice) way of controlling the other SID engines.

Similarly, anything you can do with a MIDIbox SID (like connect to an AOUT_NG module i.e. CV outputs to filters, connect to analog inputs i.e. joysticks, pots) is possible, all the ports are there to do it, but you'd have to work out how to enclose it all. It's obviously not designed for extra stuff added inside the case.

To answer your last question, it would be easier to get an MB-6582 base PCB and use that as a base for something more custom, or to have more SID modules. MB-6582 contains four Core8/stereo SID modules on it, but you don't have to use them all, and is certainly a lot easier to scale that down than scale sammichSID base PCB up.

cheers for such a detailed answer :)

think a sammich would be enough to keep my green hands full for now but it's good to know the possibilities are there.

am on the waiting list for a sammich, might well try something a bit more ambitious once that comes together...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Will that white be available in any future batches? That's hot.

YES. Ponoko could not get enough matte black acrylic for the last batch, so I got some made out of Arctic Ice for the people who preferred it. So I will be offering this in the future.