Click for full size view. More photos on Flickr.
Full documentation can be found here: http://www.midibox.o...wiki/sammichsid
sammichSID was designed to be the "no excuses" MIDIbox SID synthesizer kit - i.e. for all those people who want a MIDIbox SID but consider building it with modules too time-consuming, too newbie-unfriendly and/or too hard to design and construct a control surface, and where MB-6582 is too expensive, too daunting and/or too hard to source all the parts.
sammichSID therefore has the following design constraints/features, which support each other:
- DIY newbie friendly
- minimal control surface
- single "walwart"/AC adapter supply, no C64 PSU brick!
- stereo SID, optimized for 8580/6582A, 6581 optionally supported
- "sandwich-style" stacked PCB design, no wires!
- laser-cut 3mm acrylic case by Ponoko, customization possible
- industry standard 2x20 character LCD with low-power LED backlight, customization possible
- common control surface parts used, customization possible
- To be available as a complete kit, including PCBs, components, case, hardware and (optionally) two 6582A SIDs!
MIDIbox SID Synthesizer V2 features
- One Core module and one stereo SID module, fully integrated on one PCB with power supply.
- Five "BankStick" slots, so you can store 4 banks of 128 patches, plus 128 "Ensembles" (engine and patch configurations)
- Jumpers to configure the power supply, allowing a regulated 12V input to power 6581, or unregulated AC/DC input to power 8580/6582A.
- Minimal control surface with three user-customizable buttons and LED matrix for maximum bling.
- 2x20 character LCD with support for low-power (25mA) or high-power (250mA) LED backlight.
- Potential for future upgrade to MIDIbox SID Synthesizer V3 using add-on board
Buying a kit
Details about pre-ordering a kit can be found here: http://www.midibox.o...wiki/sammichsid
Edited by Wilba, 03 August 2010 - 14:21.
updated how to buy