MIDIBoxSIDKontrol VST

Labelwhore

Labelwhore: Since sammichSID is just one implementation of MIDIbox SID synth, and thus this VST can therefore control ANY MIDIbox SID, not just sammichSID, can I suggest you rename this VST to something more generic? Or just choose another stupid name... "sammichSID" is really a stupid name, I blame nILS, he didn't like "überKäsespätzleSID" :thumbsup:

Labelwhore: Since sammichSID is just one implementation of MIDIbox SID synth, and thus this VST can therefore control ANY MIDIbox SID, not just sammichSID, can I suggest you rename this VST to something more generic? Or just choose another stupid name... "sammichSID" is really a stupid name, I blame nILS, he didn't like "überKäsespätzleSID" :thumbsup:

:) I think it's kinda funny, so I ran with it. I'll change it.

*edit: I changed the name to MIDIBoxSIDKontrol, but haven't taken new screenshots.

Edited by Labelwhore

To be honest though, I kind of like the fact that using the standard CCs is non-destructive.

But it still only goes for Lead engine, which excludes use with Multi-, Bassline- and Drumpatches. I guess TK plans to implement CCs for the rest of the engines too in some point, but still the NRPNs have greater resolution and covers ALL parameters (because MBSID has more than 127)

The NRPNs would be non-destructive also, i guess... nothing is really changed before you choose to save the patch to memory, or am i wrong on this one??

Nice stuff though, i really cross my fingers for an all-engines all-parameters VST for MBSIDv2

May I suggest adding numbers to the name?

It would be nice if you could upload the uncompiled *.osm for FL-Synthmaker!

I haven't got real experience with Synthmaker, but I think it will be usefull, to know what's under the hood..

I could post the .osm with the caveat that I'm using the latest beta of Synthmaker which could cause problems opening the file with the FL version.

But it still only goes for Lead engine, which excludes use with Multi-, Bassline- and Drumpatches. I guess TK plans to implement CCs for the rest of the engines too in some point, but still the NRPNs have greater resolution and covers ALL parameters (because MBSID has more than 127)

I understand it can only be used with the lead engine, but it's still useful to me and hopefully to someone else as well. It beats what I had been doing, which was setting up the gui knobs on the midi out plugin in FL every time I wanted to automate my sammichSID.

The NRPNs would be non-destructive also, i guess... nothing is really changed before you choose to save the patch to memory, or am i wrong on this one??

I'd assume this is true. I hope to do a version in the future using NRPNs, but the whole thing is a learning process really.

I understand it can only be used with the lead engine, but it's still useful to me and hopefully to someone else as well. It beats what I had been doing, which was setting up the gui knobs on the midi out plugin in FL every time I wanted to automate my sammichSID.

When you set up the MIDI out plugin in FL then just save the setup as preset, and you can recall it whenever you want :) I was using dashboards myself, they're a lot more flexible but kinda oldskool now considering the sexy SM integration we have in FL now

When you set up the MIDI out plugin in FL then just save the setup as preset, and you can recall it whenever you want :) I was using dashboards myself, they're a lot more flexible but kinda oldskool now considering the sexy SM integration we have in FL now

I suppose that's true, I just hadn't done it yet. I still like the idea of having a dedicated VST control surface though as I can set up more parameters.

Ive found a bit of a hack to get around sending Sysex messages via a knob/slider. have a look at the image.

Im working on an editor for a Roland TD6V Drum kit, which only uses SysEx.

Using the string template, you can make sure the string never changes length.

The strSysex updates everytime the Knob moves, so it provides realtime sysex updates.

hope it helps.

post-3822-126424913571_thumb.jpg

This looks awesome, labelwhore!

In terms of the NRPN stuff, it took be about a day or so to figure out how to set that stuff up with my M-Audio Axiom (so I could map its knobs to MB-SID stuff. It's really not that bad once you get used to it and I think you'll appreciate the extra control you have in the VST.

That said, even if it is just the lead engine, your VST looks really cool! Gonna fire this up later today!

Ive found a bit of a hack to get around sending Sysex messages via a knob/slider. have a look at the image.

Im working on an editor for a Roland TD6V Drum kit, which only uses SysEx.

Using the string template, you can make sure the string never changes length.

The strSysex updates everytime the Knob moves, so it provides realtime sysex updates.

hope it helps.

That's pretty much how I thought NRPNs would need to be handled. I appreciate you sharing that :)

I think at some point in the furture I do want to make a version that uses NRPNs, but for now I've got the CCs which I still find handy. I think that at this point I've found and fixed most of the bugs, so if anyone sees anything that's still not working, please let me know. Check the first post for the latest version.

• 3 months later...

Which part don't you understand???

I assume the bit0/bit1 etc stuff?

This just means that for these CCs, the value that you send is made up of various 'bits'

Each 7bit MIDI message (0-127) can be displayed as binary as follows:

bit:	0	1	2	3	4	5	6

num:	1	2	4	8	16 	32	64 

So for CC 20, if you wanted Triangle, Pulse and Ringmodulator, you need to add bit0, 2 and 6 together which is 1+4+64=69 so you would send CC20 with a value of 69.

Cheers

Phil

Many, many thannnnnks for this!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have checked at http://ctrlr.org and there might still come a vst editor that can do sysex for the midibox SID, so we would have all parameters available (I guess).

If there are people that can help with the GUI for the plugin then please contact Atom on the ctrlr forum, that way we might have a full working vst editor available soon !

Thanks!

Steven

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Is there already a version that's bug free in the meanwhile :)the java editor is unstable and useless with an external daw..

I really love the sound of the sammichSID but editing it thru the lcd display is not very clear. I would love to have a stable vst editor for the sammichSID tough I don't have the knowledge to program one my own..

It also would be great to have a sequencer in the vst for the drum engine so you can use it in sync with you daw.

A good editor will make the sammichSID the bomb I think :)

Edited by arnoid

Nils made a standalone patch editor called Patch Turkey which currently supports the Lead Engine only,

but while searching keywords to find a link to it, the only place i found it on,

was in the Synthedit Yahoo User group of all places!!! WTF?

Its attached to the 2nd post in the topic, it really should be publicized more as its such a sweet editor.

Mebbé i add a wikkeh page soon.

Edited by Smithy