4 x SSM 2044 filter pcbs and MB6482 case

Hermes

Hello to everyone

I am expecting to receive soon a set of 4 x dual SSM2044 filter pcbs by (seppoman) to use in my MB6582 project. I am thinking of incorporating permanently the 4 filter pcbs into the PT 10 case so as to have a super filter capable machine without the need for an external box (I do not plan to use these filters elsewhere anyway, so an extra case would be redundant). The ultimate question is: Is there enough room for the filter pcbs to fit in the PT 10 case, taking into account that also some form of AOUT must be used, i.e. I will also need either 4 x AOUT_NG pcbs or 8 x AOUT_LC circuits to control cuttof an resonance of each SSM chip.. :ermm: I am asking for the opinion of the people who have used the PT 10 case for their MB6582 and have a clue if this incorporation is possible. Please mind, I do not care if this will be a super tight fit, I only would like to find out if it s POSSIBLE. Anxious to hear what you think... :w00t:

Sorry, it would be very unlikely. At best, with some board reengineering, maybe 1 AOUT placed above the case fan section and 2 filter boards above the SIDs. Anything more and you might have a board getting to friendly with the LCD cable.

With all that crammed in there you'll need to isolate the boards with a non conductive layer to prevent shorts and by that point you'd really want something moving air in there.

An alternative would be create a new rib to place between the top and bottom of the PT-10 to raise the height of the box by about 1-1.5 cm. You'd need to get a new taller back panel or fabricate an extension to make it look right.

I've been thinking of internal add-ons as well. The rib/riser will likely be my solution to get my add-ons on the inside. I plan on getting something laser cut in acylic to make the rib glow.

If you really want an 8xSID beast with SSM filters all in the one case, you should consider a rack-mount case (maybe 3U or 4U) and giving yourself plenty of room for all the modules and a bipolar PSU. Don't let the MB-6582 design constrain you too much... the base PCB can be put in something bigger than a PT-10 and you can make your own control surface on veroboard. It's not that hard to design and build a control surface better than the one I did... which was itself constrained to making it fit a PT-10, as there were no other DIY-friendly case solutions at the time. Or consider using the MB-6582 CS and sticking the lot in a bigger case.

i.e. here are some random examples:

4022399403_9207440953.jpg

CS5 by JuhaKauppinen, on Flickr

3541812709_ea6c641770.jpg

MB-6582 frontpanel testing on enclosure by JoeLMutantE, on Flickr

Thanks for the fast input guys!

I really like the MB6582 CS layout so I would like to keep it, maybe using another taller case is the solution. Just one idea... what if I use 4 x very very tiny AOUT LC pcbs (on a vector board or designed pcb), would that reduce the required space so as to squeeze the 4 filter pcbs in the PT10? I was thinking of placing each of the filter pcbs on top of its respective AOUT_LC pcb using appropriate spacers, I think this way all the boards would fit the footprint of the PT10, but would the height be enough? I do not have the PT 10 case nor the filter boards in my hands yet to measure... so any input again welcome.

Best regards

Dimitris

4 x very very tiny AOUT LC pcbs (on a vector board or designed pcb)

impossible : there isn't really enough space into. more over it is very complicated to design a smaller PCB than the existing one !!

BTW consider this : SID are producing heat, lots of heat wo you need some air inside the case or they will burn

Wilba introduced the fan into his design for this reason

Switch to another case or design a 2U/3U rack

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

As soon as i receive the filter boards I ll decide what must be done, at the moment I am starting to evaluate the separate filter box solution again, and looking for suitable cases for the one-in-all solution. If I decide the latter maybe I ll build the case myself (could it be wooden ;)) we' ll see...

• 3 months later...