Another MIDIbox SID on the bay

misfit

That's a nice looking box. I want a faceplate like that! That's about what you would have to charge to make a profit off of them... :devil:

Notice it says :MIDIbox SID is a non-commercial & "DIY-only" project." First thing right below the You-Tube Vid?

It also says the possibility to control up to 4 SIDs... V1? Only 2 Core Modules? I wonder if he used Wilba's PCB/Separate Cores or made up his own PCB? Or just reselling it...

Ungrateful Bastard!

Stop getting your panties in a bunch.

Selling one MIDIbox on eBay is not considered breaking any non-commercial license.

Asking more than what you would be willing to pay doesn't change anything.

Before you start mouthing off about "intellectual property" and telling people they're "breaking rules", get your facts straight.

Ok, i really do not want to be in conflict with you guys, you have given me too much ;-). Just removed the youtube comment... but in my opinion this deal is bad and we need :super: to clean the world from evil :)

Edited by Hawkeye

I'm not protecting this guy, I'm just stating facts.

Selling a one-off, custom made MIDIbox for any price is not an example of commercial intent. You don't know exactly how much this cost him to build in parts costs alone, paying customs duty to import some stuff (e.g. buying a panel from Schaeffer and then paying VAT/customs duty on it as well), or maybe how many C64s he had to buy just to get one working SID. Veroboard and wire is cheaper than a custom made control surface PCB, but that doesn't mean he should give it away.

I agree with TK... people are welcome to give opinions about these things, comment on whether it's overpriced or a bargain. I'm just saying there's no need to get so uptight about one-off sales and rant about breaking the rules.

or maybe how many C64s he had to buy just to get one working SID.

Ha Ha Ha! No kidding! Plus the couple I fried cause I'm an OGRE! :pinch:

I have a little SID graveyard.

I stopped scratching X in them and started scratching R.I.P.

Poor, little, dead bastards. :bye:

Yeah. By the time all is said and done I'll have spent $600-$700 easy (including "learning" costs too)

Not to mention the weeks of entire days worth of time I've put in to this project (Which is nothing compared to you GURUs!) :sorcerer:

It's cool. I don't really care one way or another. I'm just trying to be a good little MidiBoxer and tow the line. You MidiBox Masters are the ones that really put all the time, effort and genius in to these brilliant little machines. I'm just grateful to be allowed to participate in this. If you told me I had to sell it today I would. If you told me I was never ever ever ever allowed to sell it, that'd be cool too. It's whatever you want.

I got a whole truckload of respect for you guys TK, Wilba, nILs, Seppoman, Smash... You guys did all the hard work and paved the road for a noob like me to come in and follow your map and ask questions and build a MBSID and pat myself on the back for being a synth building MadMan.

So I don't know this dude's story and I don't care. If it don't bother you, then it don't bother me. :thumbsup:

Edited by JRock

I think, people should ask for permission here first.

It makes it easier to keep an eye on "the market" and to keep them from stretching the definition of one-off...

If lots of sid got sold, people might treat it as a commercial product and deny their own responsibility and demand better support etc.

ON the other hand, lots of sold units means lots of recognition (as seen with the X0Xbox).

You Gurus deserve this fame, but it comes with a lot of extra work with the new "customers".

If you told me I had to sell it today I would

haha, sorry but NO way! You can pry it loose from my cold dead hands ;)

i remember that guy building his midibox. the panel have some imperfection but is probably self made, or made by someone on the forum, as i can remember, he is (or was) a member. if you translate the words, you can read "this is my own personal midibox and i will not sell others, it's self made and unique" etc. etc. i can't say if the price is too high, probably no one will buy it, or someone will.. who knows :)

my brain processed that matter in a low priority background task for the last days... and my first outrage has been quite shifted...

the point is, that we will never be able to control what is being sold on a private basis between the people out there... we may be angry and blame profitmakers, but it will be incredibly hard to stop them. and legal effort is never nice effort.

heck... I guess it would even be quite difficult to shut down a chinese (no offense intended) manufacturer cloning TKs and Wilbas code and designs...