TK.

Upcoming MBHP_MF_NG module

358 posts in this topic

Just now, WingMa said:

Please guys,

Help me because I need to order the pots!!!!!

Please, Regards:

Bela

10k is what I used.

Thorsten tell me I can use 5K pot too but together on one board???

Edited by WingMa

Because I need 12 60mm pot and 2 100mm pot my project

Posted (edited)

Hi! I am trying to get some faders moving, but up to now, they refuse to move. That's alright, "refusing to move" is a phenomenon that most people that produce dance music and perform it live or DJ might have experienced, it just takes some time, but you can normally lure the people into your groove. Well, IF they are people. Right now, they are NOT. They are P&G motor faders called PGFM3200. But an older version than the one i was able to find data sheets from. The wires have different color codes, but with some trial and (predominantly) error, I have manged to get the analog input working alright, with no jitter at all. 

At the moment, I have only the first fader connected, and it is set to to output PB, I get values from -7936 to +7904. TBH, i don't even know what the complete PB range is, but as it's almost perfectly symmetrical, I just assume it's alright. However, the MOTOR doesn't do anything except some lame PWM growling, but no moving. It's my first time trying to get a motor fader to run, so please excuse my ignorance. The data sheet i found for the newer version of this fader says "stall current" is 0.54A. I guess "stall" means "not moving", and that seems like a lot of current for doing nothing - maybe the board (and the PSU) are not able to supply enough juice?

I am aware that there is not much action in this thread, but help would be appreciated! I even have spare faders to bestow upon ye that are helpful (because i was given a lot of them for free!).

Please see the attached photo for my (pretty simplistic) prototype layout.

mfng_prototype1.jpg

Edited by u-link
typo

Hello

1 hour ago, u-link said:

The data sheet i found for the newer version of this fader says "stall current" is 0.54A. I guess "stall" means "not moving", and that seems like a lot of current for doing nothing

"Stall current" is the current consumption  when the motor is "lock", meaning want to move but can't, like mechanical stop end when you still ask him to move further. In short this is the max current the motor can ask.

To move (without constraints) the motor should ask less that that...

Your issue is somewhere else

Best

Zam

18 hours ago, Zam said:

"Stall current" is the current consumption  when the motor is "lock", meaning want to move but can't, like mechanical stop end when you still ask him to move further. In short this is the max current the motor can ask.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up - makes a lot more sense than my assumption. I tried fiddling around a bit more, but the faders still won't move. The faders are actually looking a lot more like the earlier 3000 series P&G faders, they are open and supposed to move the wiper with a string, not with a belt. But even the data sheet of these guys has different wire colors listed than on mine, but i think i sorted that out. The touch sensor also works, but only when I touch the ground line with my other hand - there is a second ground wire for connecting the fader housing to ground (i think, which is what i did).

Posted (edited)

So, not too shabby, I think i figured my problem: these faders need higher voltage. I actually tried to connect some PSUs directly to a fader motor. 16V didn't do anything except some wiggling, 21.5V from an old Boss mixer PSU finally made it move! The faders were made to customer's spec it seems, maybe they are supposed to run on 24V?

The L293D can run up to 36V, the LM317 can also output 38V, I think, so would it be ok to connect a higher rated PSU to the MF_NG board? I would have to change the electrolytical caps, they are rated at 25V . The 7805 is already getting pretty dam hot, though, even with the 12V AC PSU I have connected now and a small heat sink. Maybe I could replace that with a switch mode regulator?

Edited by u-link

I tried to connect a different motor fader (ALPS CP K.Fader), and this one works! I guess I'll just leave it at that and use those.