Where to get a complete functional MIDIbox SID?

Tarrasque

Hello everybody, new user here.

The question is all in the topic title.

I'm delving through the fantastic docs ans stuff in the site, but I'm dying to have a MIDIbox SID as soon as possible.

Is there someone selling complete products, not DIY kits (my skills are next to zero) online? What is the cheapest no-frills version that could be bought?

Is it possible to get the one shown at the top of this page?

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html

I have a C-64 to cannibalize complete with SID for the project. Can just the panel, boards and controllers to get the same exact thing bought online in just one kit?

Thank you very much.

welcome!

basically there are 3 choices:

-build your SID synth the modular way: core(s), sid module(s), DIN, DOUT. how many you need depends on how big a project you like to build (minmal or full control surface) for example the one you linked to is TK's MBsid, made with individual modules, for exactly this setup there's even a plug & play firmware available. sids can be from 1 up to 8.

-MB6582, 8fold SID, actually the same as the one above but all you need on 2 big boards with minimal wiring. recommended if you like the big one. there are building guides in the WIKI and all kinds of info here on the forum about this (search)

-sammichSID: all in one, ABSOLUTE newbie friendly solution also incl. case for 1-2 sids, that's 2 stackable boards. also with great documentation and all info available.

for soulutions 1 and 2 are parts kits available, for the sammichSID the best way would be to PM Wilba about it, he's doing bulk orders for this one now and then

here's the sellers:

http://www.avishowtech.com/

http://www.mikes-elektronikseite.de/

Edited by rosch

Like Rosch said, sammichSID's an easy project, and it is a complete kit (except for power supply).

None of the projects on this site are available for commercial sale. That's one of the terms of using these designs.

Occasionally you'll find one for sale, on eBay. These are not only unauthorized, but they are way overpriced!!

If you really don't want to build one, you should consider MSSIAH, HardSid, or see if you can find a used SIDstation.

Thank you for the answers.

Unfortunately, I'm a total zero in tech and soldering, and English is not my native language. I tried to read the sammichSID building guide, but it's out of my reach.

I'll gladly pay more to have a complete set. I agree and like with the "non profit" attitude of the projects, but it would be fair to pay someone for the work of assembling the set for me.

Sorry for the newbie questions:

In site

http://www.avishowtech.com/

I see they are selling item 70 - MB-6582 Baseboard Parts Kit which seems to be a nice starting kit. If I bought this, all I need to make a working Midibox would be:

1) SIDs, of course

2) board controls such as knobs

3) case and front panel

This is a kit to build a MB-6582 box like this

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/wilba_mb_6582

Am I correct?

So, In the case I would like to try to build one of those, what else should I buy, SIDs and soldering equipment aside? Is there a sort of building walkthrough like one I found for the sammichSID?

Thx

Hi there,

if your soldering experience is not so big (as you wrote), the MB6582 may be a quite big starting project. You could write to Wilba and ask for a Sammich SID kit, it comes with everything included (except SIDs) and has great build documentation.

If you want to go on with the MB6582 - you have to source all parts for yourself - you need the Baseboard PCB and the Baseboard Parts kit from SmashTVs shop, a C64 PSU and SIDs for the base unit without control surface (controllable via Rutgers Java Editor). For the control surface, there is a photo tut (including parts list)

Bye,

Peter

if you build the MB6582 yopu can get almost everything from smashTV. what you'll need apart from the board set and the base board kit is the encoders (also from smash), a bunch of 3mm LEDs (smash got them too), a 4x20 LCD and a pack of 6X6 mini tact switches (it's important to have the right height so check everything with Wilba's building instructions)

also you need to decide which kind of power supply you like to build and stuff the base board accordingly. also if you do it all stock, you'll need a panel and a PT-10 case, you could get those from JulianF as far as i know.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=wilba_mb_6582

Hawkeye wrote a complete CS walkthrough:

if your soldering experience is not so big (as you wrote), the MB6582 may be a quite big starting project. You could write to Wilba and ask for a sammichSID kit, it comes with everything included (except SIDs) and has great build documentation.

+1

The MB6582 is a much bigger project, and it takes quite some time to source all the parts. Better start the sammichSID first, it is a much easier and much smaller project.

Since you state that you can't solder (though you could learn :) ) and feels the sammichSID build guide is too difficult to follow (language wise).

Then you're kind of stuck in regard to the DIY projects unless you get someone to build one for you or find an approved sale of a finished kit.

I'm not sure how that works from the license perspective if you want someone to build one for you.

You could look at the HardSID product or find a used Elektron SIDStation.

The latter is not manufactured anymore so you'll need to look for a used one, pretty pricy, about $500-650 is what I've seen them go for when they pop up.

Edited by Trasan

I have just completed a SammitchSid, kit supplied by Wilba. It works brilliantly and exceeds my expectations. It is over 15 years since I used a hot soldering iron, and can honestly say that it is the best documented electronics build that I have ever done. I had previously attempted a couple of Practical Electronics designs in the 80s, but gave up because of problems that I encountered. Despite the superb quality of the kit and instructions,I would, however, not reccomend this project to an absolute beginner. It would be better to learn to solder and then build some small projects first. Then come back an build the beast!!

A cheaper starter project would be to buy a Core Module Kit and Sid Module Kit from Smash TV along with the MB-6582 Kit.

Thats how I started, the wiring would take a little figuring out, but read as much as you can beforehand and you'll be fine!

With Hawkeye's extra detailed documentation, the MB-6582 is a lot more straightforward.

All you need really is experience in making the perfect solder joints, and once you have that, the world is your oyster!

• 1 month later...