MB_6582: is it ok to mix chip revisions?

moonk

yes, that is ok

Wikipedia has a nice article on SID revisions.

From Wikipedia:

Some of these chips are marked "CSG" ("Commodore Semiconductor Group") and the Commodore Logo, while others are marked with "MOS". This includes chips produced during the same week (and thus, receiving the same date code), indicating that at least two different factory lines were in operation during that week. The markings of chips varied by factory and even by line within a factory throughout most of the manufacturing run of the chip.

PSU Option B would allow for both the 9V and 12V SIDs. I haven't tried it myself but you can mix and match SIDs on the MB-6582. You can't on the sammichSID if memory serves.

yeap that's what i'm aiming at!

I figure it won't be difficult o 'bridge' some of the pins as directions stated. I'm a lil scared just for the facgt that i'm a beginner?

let me rephrase, i'm relatively beginner. I literally just finished my first soldering project with a x0xb0x. so i'll probably rate myself a 87% in soldering... i haven't yet tried surface mount soldering but i dont think i'll need to for this project?

thanks!!!

Err well just to be clear:

6581: 12V

6582/8580: 9V

Also, it is best to use the same revision for stereo pairs so you can put to 6581's together and two 6582 or 8580's together.

to clarify, when you say 'same revisions' are you talking about the letter and number following after 6581 "R5" ?

if thats correct, does that mean i shouldn't mix two 6581 chips that have different "R's" on em? =(

If you use the right PSU...the mb6582 allows you to set different voltages per sid socket.

that sounds intriguing... immensely..

is there a universal psu out in the market from which i can purchase?

thanks shurken.

Correct me if I am wrong since my memory isn't as good as it used to be, but I dont remember a provision on the MB6582 to run both 9V and 12V SIDS at the same time (i.e. 6581 and 8580, 12V and 9V respectively), AFAIK it is one or the other

you're right, it's just a lil confusing when they talk about splitting 9v to turn into 12v...... my eyes were crossed by that time. the bridging of pins made sense to me but um yeah. lol

thanks

you're right, it's just a lil confusing when they talk about splitting 9v to turn into 12v...... my eyes were crossed by that time. the bridging of pins made sense to me but um yeah. lol

thanks

Nope, I am wrong.. Its per pair you can set them.. PSU option B as mentioned above and there is a s jumper for each pair.

Hi,

it is always a good thing to use pairs of matching production dates. Difficult to manage if you purchase SID's from different sources. Below the type number (6581 or 8580/6582) there is a 4 digit production date. These numbers should match for each SID pair, in order to get a consistent stereo sound :-)

But anyway, it is not the end of the world if they don't match.

Before you switch on the power on your MB6582, I would also recommend to check the voltage jumper for each SID pair after you installed the SID's. Wrong amount of voltage could damage the SID's ...

Cheers

orange

Edited by orange_hand

Hi,

it is always a good thing to use pairs of matching production dates. Difficult to manage if you purchase SID's from different sources. Below the type number (6581 or 8580/6582) there is a 4 digit production date. These numbers should match for each SID pair, in order to get a consistent stereo sound :-)

But anyway, it is not the end of the world if they don't match.

Before you switch on the power on your MB6582, I would also recommend to check the voltage jumper for each SID pair after you installed the SID's. Wrong amount of voltage could damage the SID's ...

Cheers

orange

yipes that's sort of a bummer.. i hope i dont run into issues with sound output consistency!

if it helps here are the chips i have

CSG 8580 R5

1190 25

CSG 8580 R5

4889 25

CSG 8580 R5

0791 25

MOS 8580 R55

4587 25

MOS 6581 CBM

MOS 6581 CBM

MOS 6581 R4AR

Q187 14

whew....

Hi,

so all of them are from different production dates... Check them out, maybe there is not much of a difference ... let your ears decide.

And you should keep in mind - some of us are hearing the grass growing :-)

Cheers

orange

*blush* sorry, i don't really get that statement of hearing the grass growing. meaning you guys have good judgement and i should have y'll take a listen when the time comes?

I'm gonna try to match them up by buying more chips. if i end up with 2 different 6581's i wont mind..

but i do want my 8580s to match. sigh.. bummer.. =(

thanks though.

hi guys thought this might be helpful to anyone else who had questions.. i contacted the dude who has a crappppppppload of chips (pm me if you want his contact)

in a nutshell, as long as the reviisons are the same i'm o.k. he mentions that filtering might sound different but i'm not too concerned about it.. heres the quote:

There are basically two different version of the SID chip: 6581 and 8580 (== 8580R5).

(The 6581 exists in 3 revisions: R2, R3 and R4(AR) but the differences are not in the sound

but in the electronical interface!)

Some years ago there was a myth that 6581R4AR are superior but to be honest: That's completely

bulls***! ;-) But I charge more for 6581R4AR as people sometimes want them anyway and

they are much harder to get than 6581R3 or 6581(R2).

The 8580R5 is very stable in regards to sound. That means that one 8580R5 sounds identical to

another - no matter when it was produced! (R5 means revision 5 of the silicon die by the way).

The differences - if there are any are only in the filters. That means that you won't hear

differences when no filters are used. (No BP, LP, HP).

6581 is another thing: Each chip can sound different - even when produced at the same time and

in the same batch. For stereo application the 6581 is inferior to 8580R5!

+1 on the 8580 stability - i have 8 different ones - they all sound the same, same volume.

Should there be differences in volume, e.g. on the 6581, that can be adjusted in your mixer.

Regarding optimum MB6582 SID loadout, there are different opinions - i wanted them all to sound the same for maximum lead engine polyphony and am proud to already have bugged TK about 12 SID support in MBSID V3 :)

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

+1 on the 8580 stability - i have 8 different ones - they all sound the same, same volume.

Should there be differences in volume, e.g. on the 6581, that can be adjusted in your mixer.

Regarding optimum MB6582 SID loadout, there are different opinions - i wanted them all to sound the same for maximum lead engine polyphony and am proud to already have bugged TK about 12 SID support in MBSID V3 :)

Greets,

Peter

"PROUD to already have bugged tk about 12 sid" hehe

It would great to have em all sound the same when i run chords, but if it doesnt work out for this project, i can wait til my next one.

:)