introducing : MIDIBOX.ORG LOGO

ladybug

(open your "reverb" effect full-on set to "stadium")

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Good evening and welcome to the MDIDBOX.ORG arena !

It is a pleasure to see you all, so many of you, gathered around ! And all in the name of MIDIBOXing !

In the last couple of months we have indeed grown to be a community large and wide as never seen before in the days of midi-diy !

This is all thanks to TK : the father who gave birth to midi-diy as we know it today. Much respect to this relentless innovator and developer, may he prosper and continue surprising us with his imagination.

Much respect also goes to all the people standing beside TK, helping him and us realizing our dreams, even when sometimes seems impossible - we know who you are !

And we never forget that all you're work is done without any propose for profit (of any kind), as this is the "hart" of MIDIBOX.ORG : fun, un-commercial, profitless and for-all !

RESPECT AND THANK YOU !

Now we will proceed to the main event of the evening :

The revealing of the MIDIBOX.ORG LOGO !

We, as a community so large and active and world spread, need a SYMBOL to represent us !

WE NEED A LOGO !

A logo to go on every box made, so that when seen it is known that this box is a MIDIBOX !

A symbol to be on our pcb, so that no mistake can be made to the roots of it !

A sign on our sid, so that them who don't know us will know where these sounds are coming from !

And even a print on our shirts and hats so we can recognize each other and say : "you are my brother"!

Ladies & Gentlemen ,

Please welcome the MIDIBOX.ORG LOGO !!!

Use it wisely !

Use it as much as you can !

Let it be your sign !

Wear it with pride !

Tell the all world you are a MIDIBOXer !!!

[glow=red,2,300]NOW WE HAVE A LOGO [/glow]

oh yes, you can find it here : http://www.midibox.org/logo/midibox_logo.jpg

I'd give it a 4/10...

Soirry pal...

And even if more people thought that midibox indeed needed a logo, I suggest to have a ompetition or something!

Ps. I agree about that North America fact!

It's kindof like why on the globe europe and north america is on top and africa and south america on the bottom thing...

In fact I was the guy who decided the logo without a competition, although Ofir initially asked for fair play. I was really impressed about his work since it expresses very directly what people can expect from the website w/o much words:

• a worldwide operating community
  • DIY stuff (soldering iron)
  • faders representative for controlling sounds
  • midibox.org (.org to point up the non-commercial spirit)

So, thats also the reason why you can find this logo at my personal page http://www.ucapps.de now (press the reload button). It's a pointer to the midibox.org site. I thought you also like it, but it seems that taste is really different around the world. ;-) (for example, I don't like colourful and unmeaning banners)

I've no problem with the view of the globe, am I too tolerant?

What shall our fellows in Australia and New Zealand say about this?

Think global!

And thanks for your contribution, Ofir! :-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well in my universal graphical taste (and I'm a professional ;)), I think the best is to center the map on Polynesia / pacific Ocean (nice beach, warmth, everybody loves it), let's put one color at last (we have more than 65 millions available), and it's done !

no ? :D

defred

ps/no fun : the designed logo will surely be hard to use for all the ideas because of color shading, problem with rescale size of elements, I think it should be a little more simple to be used widely.

I don't know what the fuss is about, after all, NewYork is the centre of the planet, and besides most midiboxes are sperical and do have sliders and flexible skin that can be withdrawn to solder connections underneath.  ???

mmmmmmmm......... AFRICA is the center of the planet ...we all come from there ! and not from NY ! ;)

I think we have to modify it a little .... the faders are not enough visible,  and the PCB can also be more visible ... ? no ?

I always thought the centre of our planet was a hot iron ball, but that aside, perhaps we could put up a survey on the portal about this issue ?

Perhaps something along the lines of:

-"do you like the proposed logo ?"

-"do you think there should be some kind of logo-competition?"

-"do you think it's only up to TK to decide wat logo is gonna be used ?"

-etc.....

best to all,

DriftZ

A nice idea conceptually in terms of the points which are conveyed...

However unfortunately id have to say i really don't like the design :/

From my point of view it doesn't have the right 'feel', the design needs to be 'neutral' in styling in order to blend into most people's midibox designs.

The logo would also benifit greatly from been done in 'two tone' (only solid black lines & white background), Which would make it far easier to reprodce on pcbs & panel stickers (etc) ...also this would make it really stand out, whilst still blending into most people's panel designs (most will feature bold single tone fonts on the control panel).

In terms of conveying a geographical netrality, it might be a good idea to go for a sphere made out of longditude & latitude lines ('wire mesh'). also this would provide the lines for the faders to 'sit' on.

Man I told myself I was gonna stay out of this.....  :-/

First off, Thorsten can have whatever logo he wants, as father of the box that's only right.   ;)

And at the sake of not stepping off the neutral line, I say everyone who has anything to say about the logo should take a minute to make up the logo the way you want it, with whatever changes you think are needed and show it off here (But in the Misc. forum please!)

</rant>

It sounds like there is a lot of graphic arts type talent here, I personally would like to see what this community is capable of with graphic design stuff.

Have fun!

Smash  

I agree.

As for the logo: OK, it's not totally geometrically correct, Germany is not in the center, the correct CMYK/RGB/Pantone colours are not defined and there are no rules defined for how to apply the logo on a car etc (see http://www.johanolsson.net/post/03.pdf and http://www.johanolsson.net/post/02.pdf for examples of such rules, it's in Swedish but you'll get the point). I made some logos before and it's a long, hard work with a result that hardly never is popular with everyone.

I guess there are several professionals in this forum who could make a business-class tiptop logo. Or we could pay 5,000 Euro and let a design firm do it for us. ;) But since this is a DIY site, i don't think that is what matters.

It seems to me that rasOfir has put some work into the logo, and i think it's nice. I sure give you cred for it, ras!!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

But sure, it would be nice to see more graphic designs, like sketches and concepts for Midiboxes, for inspiration etc.