Flux Removal (PCB Cleaning)

c0nsumer

Hey everyone... I just took a moment to write up the steps I use to clean flux from PCBs after I assemble them. This isn't always needed, but it's generally regarded as a good idea.

I do this using simple 99% isopropyl alcohol, distilled water, and a few brushes. That is, chemicals and supplies which are commonly available and not especially expensive.

If you'd like to read this write-up, please look here: http://www.nuxx.net/wiki/Flux_Removal

Suggestions / comments / questions / flames?

-Steve

I use Genesolve 2004, which is so good, it's acutally illegal to manufacture! But somehow I am able to buy it every year.

Looks to me like it's just a CFC / Methanol blend. (datasheet) Why not use just methanol (or isopropyl, since it's easier to obtain) instead of dumping CFCs into the atmosphere? I'd imagine straight alcohol is cheaper, too...

-Steve

Why not use just methanol (or isopropyl, since it's easier to obtain) instead of dumping CFCs into the atmosphere?

Props man.

Believe me, that hole in the ozone layer, which sits right over Australia, you can feel that in summer.....And our weather is changing drastically every year....Dodgy.

Hi Steve.  It would be great if you could add this writeup (or a link to it) to the DocuWIKI

Ah, good idea. In the amount of time it took you to make that reply you could have added the link to the wiki yourself, though.

Why not just add things you find useful instead of suggesting that others do so?

-Steve

Believe me, that hole in the ozone layer, which sits right over Australia, you can feel that in summer.....And our weather is changing drastically every year....Dodgy.

Today it was 37.2°C here, with an apparant temp (after figuring in humidity) of 40.5°C. And we're at ~42.5°N latitude.

It's getting fscking HOT.

-Steve

• 1 year later...

Helllooooo!

lol, why even mention that, it's ALWAYS raining over here  :P

no NLX,

its always raining where YOU are.. rainclouds like you.. they think you are a raingod :D:D

Come to Australia,we need rain!

You guys are interfering the subject and Echopraxia's recent question just to give a non relevant answer to a 1 year old post?  ::)

... if you at least would answer his question...

Hello. Would I need to remove the ICs and PICs from the PCBs before cleaning the PCB?s

... depends what you are doing. I normaly remove flux before I assemble the boards with removable items.

If you remove them you're on the safer side for shure, but if you don't spoil your components side with any solvent, you don't have to worry anything.

Greets, Roger

Well I used no clean solder and I am very happy with it but I bought some crappy radio shack wick which left some brown stuff on the board when I had to desolder anything. I got some better wick right away but I already made a couple modules while using the radio shack brand. The other boards look fine but still have that clear goo around the joints.

I've been using Flux-Off from Chem-spray for cleaning my boards.  It's mediocre at best.  It never seems to get all the flux off.  Instead it gets spread all over the board and makes it sticky.  It sounds like using denatured alcohol would be a better idea.  Would it be a Good Idea to submerge the board in alcohol as long as I take care to use washable switches and pots?

I've been using Flux-Off from Chem-spray for cleaning my boards.  It's mediocre at best.  It never seems to get all the flux off.  Instead it gets spread all over the board and makes it sticky. 

Clean your board afterwards with water. (do not solder pots on the board yet and other things that can get rusty when washing in water).