strange LCD problem

kokiPsiho

Hi,

as I said core module and cable are ok because when I connect my 2x40 display it works fine. That's why it's strange. I think this happened once. Back then I was experimenting with connecting LCD directly to parallel port and programing in VB just for fun. LCD was stuck with these lines and it seemed like it was refreshed or reseted that way and it worked again. I'm not sure you will understand what I mean but I'm confused with all this. Also I read somewhere but I can't find it, which jumpers to solder to enable LCD backlight power form pins 15 and 16.

thanx

Hi,

it looks to me that display is damaged. When I power on core module i get those lines. After a second, lines disappear for about half a second and are back again. This doesn't happen with 2x40 display on which after power on and first lines disappearing i get MIOS boot message. It must be my mistake with wiring, i didn't know it is that easy to destroy LCD. Thanks anyway.

On some LCDs this can happen very quickly, others are more stable.

I remember that I plugged J15 the wrong way on a noname device (from Conrad) some time ago - it destroyed the LCD immediately. Just one week ago the same happened again with another LCD, I already was swearing because of my silliness, but what a luck: the LCD still works!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi,

i'm running MIDIbox TC. It works perfectly with another display. I found datasheet for it and wiring is OK. It's Picvue display www.picvue.com.tw. It seems damaged but I'm not sure. It's like display has stuck at that init screen because those lines disappear for a short moment and are back again. On another display after that I get MIOS boot screen as I already said. I will get new one and try because I have hole with that size already cut for my small MB64E.

hi !

i just had exactly the same problem and wanted to post here - i checked all interconnections twice and still nothing.

but then i came to the idea that i'm maybe giving the box not enough power and mios just won't start up. guess what? i change the voltage on my psu from 7,5 volts and it worked right away!

so maybe you have the same problem - worth checking out i guess !!

I sympathise. I trashed my Crystalfontz red neg LCD by plugging the connector in to the Core module the wrong way round. It still occasionally works ok, but most of the time I get a glitchy mess of pixels, which sometimes flicker and fade out towards the left of the screen. I do remember it getting pretty hot when I first plugged it in, so I unplugged it as quickly as I could. It was OK for a while afterwards, but has been playing up since. It's really annoying, as I spend ages making sure I had the ribbon cable wired up correctly, then made the most stupid mistake imaginable by plugging it in the wrong way!

Comforting to hear others have made similar mistakes though ;)

I'll wire up another display soon. I have a blue one I picked up on eBay for about £6

Alex

I sympathise. I trashed my Crystalfontz red neg LCD by plugging the connector in to the Core module the wrong way round. It still occasionally works ok, but most of the time I get a glitchy mess of pixels, which sometimes flicker and fade out towards the left of the screen. I do remember it getting pretty hot when I first plugged it in, so I unplugged it as quickly as I could. It was OK for a while afterwards, but has been playing up since. It's really annoying, as I spend ages making sure I had the ribbon cable wired up correctly, then made the most stupid mistake imaginable by plugging it in the wrong way!

Don't feel bad,  I plugged a SID chip in backwards *ducks* (and it didn't break ;) ).

• 11 months later...
I remember that I plugged J15 the wrong way on a noname device (from Conrad) some time ago - it destroyed the LCD immediately. J
if i plug the D0-D7 line in the other line of J15, will it destroy the display ? cause i did it (ona conrad equivalent display) and now i only have the black row of start ,and then a blank screen.  :'( it was working before ...

Hi julien,

I think you gave the answer to yourself ...  :-\

If it was working before ... and now not?

Other users (like above) were reporting that the display was damaged after a wrong connection...

so what do you want to hear ?

Please double check your cabling to the display. There is a slight change that only a connection is broken or something else. But if everything is all right .... it died.

Try another display on the same Core and if it works you'll know it definitly.  :'(

Sorry ... but shit happens  8)

greets

Doc