6582 SID MEGA-SALE #5 **CLOSED**

Wilba

Back when Elektron released their SID-Station it was said that they "found an old forgotten stock of SIDs making it possible to fabricate a limited number of SID-Stations". Obviously that was sell talk, but I thought it sounded pretty reasonable at the time.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 6582 was intended for use in the C65 computer that commodore was developing when it fell into financial disarray. The C65 was to have a stereo pair of SID's, built in floppy drive and compatibility mode with the C64. Unfortunately, it never got past the prototype stage, though there are said to be a good few out there.

The 65xx designation suggests that the 6582 was developed using MOS's NMOS process, which dates them prior to the development of the 8580 (using the HMOS process), in line with the development of the C65, although I suspect that they're actually identical since the 6582 does not run appreciably warmer than an 8580.

I am pretty sure that the 6582 and 6582A I have and sell, which are all marked "CSG" and datecodes in mid-1992, are made identical to the "CSG" 8580R5... they certainly look like they came out of the same factory and sound exactly the same.

I do have one "MOS 6582 A", datecode 3186 (1986!) that looks exactly like a "MOS 8580R5" from 1988 and a "MOS 6581R4AR" from 1986. It also has different waveforms to the CSG 8580/6582, but the filter works fine on 9V with 22nF capacitors, so it's clearly different to a 6581.

Back when Elektron released their SID-Station it was said that they "found an old forgotten stock of SIDs making it possible to fabricate a limited number of SID-Stations". Obviously that was sell talk, but I thought it sounded pretty reasonable at the time.

SidStation uses 6581 SIDs only, and it was the truth, they did buy up new-old-stock 6581, just like the HardSID guys did. It's also why they stopped making SidStations - no more supply of new-old-stock 6581.

So why did they prefer to use 6581s?

Because some SID fans are crazy for the noise and filter of the 6581.

Anyway, talking about the SID-Station. What kinds of spec does it have compared to a MB-6582?

You'll have to post that one in a new thread and let current SidStation users post their comments.

MEGA-SALE #5 is starting. Names on the MEGA-SALE #5 list have reserved SIDs from the next batch I get. You will be contacted by MIDIbox Forum Private Message to send your order details, PayPal email address, etc. I will receive SID shipment around March 20th and commence testing/packing. You will be sent a PayPal invoice before March 27th. You will then pay before April 3rd, and your order shipped between April 3rd and April 10th.

Sometimes things don't go to plan.

The shipment was delayed by Easter and delayed again in customs. Maybe they made the sniffer dogs sniff each SID. It should come today. I don't start sending invoices until I actually receive the shipment and have SIDs in my hands.