tutorial LC emulation

Steven_C

Steven_C,

I'm very interested in this as well. I'm currently starting to design my main controller to use with Nuendo and have never run anything more elaborate than a JL Cooper CS-10. I'm trying to get a feel for what parameters I want control over, and what degree of communication I could expect between Nuendo and an LC/Mackie.

I'll probably try to go with a group of knobs which map to an EQ plug on the selected channel, as well as some common channel parameters. The rest will be tool buttons and menu items. I'm assuming the VST spec. allows for some kind of return values for the plug parameters being controlled.

I'm also wondering if/how a MIDIBox could setup multi-purpose buttons with an indicator LED, like the channel buttons on the CS-10. This would obviously give me a lot more switches/controls per square inch. There are also some non-continuous controls which don't deserve individual buttons, but would need a visual indication of their current state. For instance, the HP/LP EQ filters have several curves. I'm guessing a stepped (switch type) knob would make sense with LEDs nearby to show the current filter curve. (?)

I grabbed all the Mackie PDFs I could see yesterday and I have all the individual Nuendo docs from v.1to3. It's not real easy to see what I'm up against without a working controller and a two way connection though. If anyone has any good links to manuals or anything else that might help, I'd appreciate it.

-Take Care

George       

Hi,

in my opinion a 2x16 display isn't really useful for a LC emulation, other people are saying that they only use the LC as mixer replacement and don't need any display... so, hard to say if you feel really satisfied with this solution, this question has to be answered by yourself.

Disabling motor driver: see main.asm (C version: main.h)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

No, faders are not configured in mios_tables.inc - it should work without any additional configuration.

Could it be that you set "NUMBER_MOTORFADERS" to 0? It must be 8 - only "ENABLE_MOTORDRIVER" has to be set to 0

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Sure I have used several voltage reg's to get the correct voltage. It works fine.

If you are using backlit LCDs you may want to put a heatsink on the 78**'s as they get quite hot.

I use a laptop power supply (15v) that I bought from a surplus shop for about $2 it works fine on the LC (core, 2x back lit LCD & MF board with 8 motor faders.) 3A should be plenty.

peace

ha, that was my first post in over a year.... Im re-designing my LC now so I might lurk a bit.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I used just 1 of each from memory I will check later today when I get home, I put them on a breadboard to make it easy/tidy.

yokattane? what is this from a manga perhaps? (I am a major Otaku and watch too much Anime.) Are you living in Japan?

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I done some reading of Ableton Live`s 6 tutorial. I found that Mackie have got encoders with buttons which have important functions depending of how meny times is pressed.

1. I wonder how is this done in LC emulation? Is there anny substitution for that?

2. if I specify I am using only 4 motofaders for tracks 1-4, will pressing flip function flip it to faders 5-8 or 8-16 as Mackie Controll do?

3. Is there a way to chain MB64 to the LC emulation so they can use same MIDI I/O port or it is the same as I use LC extension?

I would like to have some more dedicated controlls (pots) wich don`t have to deal with Mackie protocol.

Hi,

1. I wonder how is this done in LC emulation? Is there anny substitution for that?

The buttons are there. They are labeled as ID_VPOT_SELECT_CHNx in the lc_io_tables.inc

The funktions depend on your host application. I don't know anything about ableton. In Cubase they are used for monitoring purpose.

. if I specify I am using only 4 motofaders for tracks 1-4, will pressing flip function flip it to faders 5-8 or 8-16 as Mackie Controll do?

First of all the button "flip" flips the faders and the encoders. I think you mean the channel/bank up/down switches. I never tried it with only 4 Faders. Maybe you need to change the code a little bit (Main.asm: number of Motorfaders ...) to get the bank change right. But I never tried it.

3. Is there a way to chain MB64 to the LC emulation so they can use same MIDI I/O port or it is the same as I use LC extension?

I would like to have some more dedicated controlls (pots) wich don`t have to deal with Mackie protocol.

No. You need a dedicated midi port per 8 channel. No further use of this port is possible.

But you use the GPC mode of the LC to control other functions of your host.

Another possibility is to have a seperated MB64 connected to your host as a generic controller.

greets

Doc

Thank you very much Doc, I was kinda confused with Alex`s one button per channel labeled select/vselect. http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=761.0

It is hard to experiment with LC if it is not fully built. I tried, but it becomes very messy if there is no panel to hold everything together, but to make proper panell I need to test how it works. It is like wicious ciycle  :-\

Too bad I cannot link MB64 to LC. I tought I just cannot link LC extension to LC because of the protocol. I really like what I saw of LC but would be great to add some more dedicated pots.

Thanks again Doc. I am going to continue with drawing my box ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, i got it.

A question i didn't find in the forum is about the LED meters. Does their sensitivity, or better measure scale, depend on the DAW software?

Or could one could roughly say, for example the fourth of 12 LEDs corresponds to a level about -12 dB or something? I read that the 12th LED correlates somewhat to clipping-- i guess that works in every host, since they all speak in the logic/mackie control protocol. Right?

i understand. thank you!

another question: can i just connect the first LED pin to a LED to have something like a signal indicator (the LED lights up when a signal is present), and the 12th pin to another LED to get a clip indicator? or do i have to connect the whole dozen to get a closed circuit?

sorry for asking, it's just not that clear neither in the wiki nor here in the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey TK, may I ask what the small IC with 8 trimpots inside your MBLC is? Visible on this pic: http://www.midibox.org/midibox_lc_photos/27.html

I guess it is that individual voltage adjustment for each motorfader. Is it helpful for every MBLC or just if the motorfaders behave unusually?

Thank You for the great MIOS vision,

Seba

• 3 years later...