MB-6582 How usable are they?

punkdISCO

Hi All (first post!)

I have been a bit SID fan for years; most of our tracks use a HardSID 4U (6581 + 6582 + 2x8580). The HardSID is fantastic but I have a few issues with it that SUPER annoy me.

So, I have been sniffing around the MB-6582 for ages. The only thing that has stopped me from buying one up until now is not knowing how "usable" they are. Im pretty lazy when it comes to synths - I have a truck load of synths but only the ones that are instant get used. I dont like synths that stifle creativity due to slow/cumbersome interfaces.

The MB-6582 is very well documented but, a lot of the info is technical. Likewise, all the YouTube videos tend to be just a demo rather than a walkthrough on how to use the MB-6582 which brings me (finally) only my question:

Question: what is the MB-6582 like to use? Clearly it is quite menu driven but, is it quick and logical to use?

Thanks for any replies. I hope my post is in the correct section.

Btw, here is one of our many SID tracks: http://www.punkdisco.co.uk/Music/oral_hygiene.mp3

Paul

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk

Here’s the video: www.youtu.be/Zl0PTZKy7fg

Edited by nILS
A bit too much advertising.

The 6582 isn't all that menu driven.. It's got a good set of knobs on it. The mod matrix makes setting up patches easy. It's got everything you need for real time tweaking. I've got to admit I've had mine finished a month or less, but so far I'd say you can do 80% of your sound sculpting w/out getting in to the menus, and 100r% of your tweaking while playing it, w/out getting in to the menus.

The 6582 isn't all that menu driven.. It's got a good set of knobs on it. The mod matrix makes setting up patches easy. It's got everything you need for real time tweaking. I've got to admit I've had mine finished a month or less, but so far I'd say you can do 80% of your sound sculpting w/out getting in to the menus, and 100r% of your tweaking while playing it, w/out getting in to the menus.

Hi - this is good to know. Maybe if I do ever get around to building one (I now understand you are not allowed to buy/sell them complete without permission) I think I would do a 3 min "how to use" video to demonstrate the interface rather than the sound..

The user manual is also really good and has helped me visualise how it might operate..

thanks again,

Paul

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk

Here’s the video: www.youtu.be/Zl0PTZKy7fg

Hi Paul,

it takes a while until you understand how this great machine works. I don't believe that you will get a good understanding by reading the manual. You need to have one in order to use and understand it completely. After a while you will understand what kind of excellent machine it is and how many great ideas into the design went. Compared to other professional synths I think this box is on the same level. You've got plenty of knobs, you can control everything very quickly and you can even extend it according to your own ideas. A great machine, a must have :-)

Cheers

orange

• 3 weeks later...

I believe exactly the opposite. Just a picture is enough to understand that the control surface gives hand-on control for all the basic stuff...

To answer your question, I find the MBSID6582 (just like any MBSID w/ full CS) very, VERY easy and quick to use.

Hi All (first post!)

I have been a bit SID fan for years; most of our tracks use a HardSID 4U (6581 + 6582 + 2x8580). The HardSID is fantastic but I have a few issues with it that SUPER annoy me.

Hehe, first post? Well, on this forum! I know you from other forums as well, such as DSI and Jomox (where I am jus a Lurker). And since I am active on this forum I can tell you that I really like the music that you two guys make.

(and the mastering of a certain magazine sucked, your original music was better iirc + imho)

I was once intersted in the Hardsid, I downloaded the editor and it was terrible. If I remember correctly, making polypatches was the horror, as you had to edit every osc at once, including the wavatable settings...

Also the support seems to be terrible of those guys.

• 1 month later...

I am a SUPER proud owner of a V2 box (thanks Jann) I got it last Friday and have waited till tonight to fire it up (I love the anticipation). Now that I put juice to the thing I have to say WOW, I am soo excited to learn more and make this thing scream.

I only have one real hangup at this point.

I just can't seem to get the filter to work the way I expect it to. I have tried all the filter modes (L B & H) I see the values change on the displayand on some patches I hear slight modulation of the sound I am filtering but it's just not that classic SID filter....I can't get it to fully sweep.

My guess is that I haven't routed the modulation matrix correctly but you guys prol know exactly what I'm doing wrong.

any help?

the OSCs have to be routed to the filter. In the filter menu there is a value named CHN, set it to 123, then all three OSCs get filtered.

I think there's something wrong with the build I received. The filter does not respond like the sample given in the User Manual. Mine sounds all muffled and has little to no sweep with some slight distortion or audio wierdness going on . also, when I change values on the cutoff parameter I don't get an ascending numerical value. Instead I get things like 55E then 55F then it'll jump to 590. The lower most value is 000 while the upper most value is FFF.

Unfortunately I did not build this kit and really have no clue as to where to start on the debug. To be honest, I am a little bumbed cause the box arrived somewhat in bad shape. The glue that was used to mount one of the posts that holds the interface board to the faceplate has come loose and a number of the buttons have recessed below the surface. This weekend I am gonna take a swing at fixing this physical issue but I fear that the filter cutoff and lack of sweep issues are not related.

I think I read somewhere that the filter can get blown...is that true? if so, do I just replace the SID(s)?

Sorry to be so ignorant.

000 to FFF is the value in hex, it should be that way. If the value jumps, the encoder might be broken. Your problem with the filter could mean broken SIDs, but also wrong/bad/sloppy soldered filter caps can lead to this behaviour. They are placed near the SIDs.

000 to FFF is the value in hex, it should be that way. If the value jumps, the encoder might be broken. Your problem with the filter could mean broken SIDs, but also wrong/bad/sloppy soldered filter caps can lead to this behaviour. They are placed near the SIDs.

YAY, I'm not as lost as I thought...based on the things I have read I was guessing it might be an issue with the caps....guess it's time to pull out the Fluke and rip into this beast....and I though I was getting a turnkey solution :P

thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions (maybe I should move to a more relative thread as well)