It would be really kool to make this Sh**

Sasha

This is actually my very old idea, but I never knew how to realise it since I`m not some electronic genious.. :P

This is another great midi project based on PIC, and I wonder is there some ideas how to interface electromehanics with midibox. I know there`s a way to put relays (probably too slow for this purpose) on a digital out modules, but can you somehow send midi signals from sequencer  to transistors which drives the motors, electromagnets...

I get inspired about  interfacing drum over midi when I first time saw automated piano with rorating drum with mechanical trigers on it. Imagine to put little beaters on a diferent kind of junk... cans, boxes, real drums on a stage and sequence it in a backstage. If you make fast beaters that react quickly it could be more then usefull.

LINK: http://logosfoundation.org/instrum_gwr/troms.html

AND FREAKS:

ake_gwr6_small.jpgake_mon_small.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

your biggest problem would be the mechanical side of things.

making a beater that

1. can attain enough momentum to make a loud sound

2. can make a fluid move (for example, with drums you'd need it to jump away so it doesn't damp the drum)

3. has a correct, reliable range (so for example the stick doesn't go THROUGH the surface of the drum :P )

and

4. does it all responsively (notice that when you want to hit a drum in time, you have to start moving your arm LONG BEFORE you actually hit it *)

can be really a hard task.

*you might need to think of some kind of "compensation" for the lag made by the beaters.

however, i do think it would be a great thing - you have a great idea.

i can only imagine myself sequencing thirty hammers beating on trashcans :D!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I know there`s a way to put relays (probably too slow for this purpose) on a digital out modules, but can you somehow send midi signals from sequencer  to transistors which drives the motors, electromagnets...

I think Darlington transistor arrays are faster than relays, and the DOUT module even supports these ICs directly, the output pins become high current sinks instead, so the negative pins of all your mechanical stuff is connected to the DOUT pins and the positive pins connected to whatever supply you want.

Didn't you already do stuff like this with old hard disks?

theres something faintly disturbing about the fact that the nudists association managed to claw their way in on such a topic..

conversely, if like one chap i knew.. you take up photography & drawing classes in the right places ..youll have quite a legitimate excuse to study a varied range of fine & inspiring curves.

The time delay from setting an output to actually beating the drum is easy to fix, especially using a sequencer in a PC.. just time shift the percussion tracks forward.

Of course then it's no longer interactive, but only useful for pre-recorded sequences.

In the interest of being polite, I'm not going to make any comments about Sashas friends (or family)

LyleHaze

Hi,

A bit off topic, but I'm pretty sure a single power BJT will respond quite a bit faster than a Darlington pair. Darlingtons have high gain, but are not the fastest. Probably either would be quite fast enough though.

Perhaps one could use a solenoid to hit a hammer, which in turn hits a percussive target. The hammer would be hinged, with a spring return, and bump stop. I'm not certain how much dynamic range one can get from a solenoid though.