6582 SID MEGA-SALE!!! (CLOSED)

Wilba

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys elsewhere in the world have it really bad, UK and Canada in particular... for such small value goods, it's ludicrous... I don't know how you guys get any bargains on eBay or order anything from overseas.

Yup, I stopped buying off eBay because of this.  Now I only search within Canada, basically. So much for free trade, etc.  :P

And still you have a good deal on taxes on UK, here in Mexico if the declared value is more than US $100 you get to pay 38% of the total value including shipping costs, not funny.

wow.... that's how anti-trading non spoken policy revealed.

here in israel is pretty same, i think ... 20$ and up for everything declared above $50.

when you buy a car you actually paying for (almost) one more, which goes to military/government use.

sorry for hijack.

Yup, I stopped buying off eBay because of this.  Now I only search within Canada, basically. So much for free trade, etc.  :P

Not meaning to high-jack this thread, but I live in Canada and have everything sent USPS. 8 out 10 times I don't pay any duty. The problem lies with 3rd party carriers such as UPS and FedEx. They automatically charge broker fees on anything over $20, as well as duty. This is mostly due to them being under a spotlight by the government. They need to be accountable for everything they ship, because the government DOES go over their books. By no means am I defending them, just pointing out why they do what they do.

8 out 10 times I don't pay any duty.

>:(  I pay duties and 14% taxes EVERY SINGLE TIMES I use government postal systems(USPS, Canada Post, Royal Mail), UPS or FedEx.

Last time, they even charged $13 for duties rather than the usual $5 (Though that package came from UK).

I can stick 8 SIDs in an envelope and send it to you for $5 and you'll get them 99% of the time.

Or if you're going with Canada Post, they're going to charge you taxes for what they think the content is worth if they happen to open it. (I once paid taxes for a $300 value when I bought a $120 broken laptop)

It sucks, but they're not the worst guys out there(UPS and FedEx charge even more).

Wilba my brother, I'm sure you have the sids going out in the mail soon right? I can't wait! Only thing I'm hoping is... since I'm not using them right away, and they will sit on the shelf for a few months most likely.. is there any other way to test them when I get them versus pluging them into the board?

Thanks so much! :)

I test them before I ship them. That's why it takes so long... there are currently 368 SIDs to be shipped.

If they stay in the same, unopened, undamaged tubes that I ship them in, then they should work just as well as when I tested them. They've been sitting in these same tubes for 15 years so I think another few months won't make a difference. Plus I have never had a report of the SIDs I sell not working after they were delivered, so I wouldn't worry too much.

If you really need to test them, buy a newer model C64 (check it has an 8580 in it) and a Prophet64 cartridge... that might be the quickest way if you REALLY need to test them. Or bypass the Prophet64 and just learn how to POKE the SID registers. I don't know C64 BASIC programming so you can find answers elsewhere.

When it comes time to test them in an MB-SID, make sure you test all voltages first, check the PIC is receiving MIDI and the pins on the SID socket are being changed by the PIC and also test the audio buffer works (there are test apps for this). Then take out one SID and test it in one SID socket. If you don't hear sound, then work out what's wrong then, don't go plugging in every other SID you have, just in case you killed the first one for some reason.

Apologies to everyone, I've been really busy and haven't had time to test and pack all the SIDs. It's actually a very slow process, I have to reboot my MB-6582 for every SID and cut up the chip tube into smaller lengths etc. And the other day I got distracted with a bug (feature!) in the latest MB-SID V2 firmware which made the tested SID on the right channel sound like it had a different filter to my 6582A in the left channel... worked that one out (the SIDs are fine and identical).

Anyway, just wanted to mention it... probably no one really cares if it takes one week or three weeks to get their SIDs but I still wish I had more free time to do this so people waited less.

come on wilba... HURRY!!!!!

>:(

I hope it was ironic.

Take the time Wilba. But I were you I would not test all the chips, just make a random test. But maybe don't you want to fight with returns. 8)

Personally the 2 chips you sold me more than 6 months ago are working very well  :D

Cheers

I test them all to make sure you get working SIDs. I'm confident that I might only get one or two SIDs from these 512 that dead, but why make one unlucky buyer find these? That would really annoy me (and has before ages ago when I bought four 8580 from some guy in Canada, I was assured all four were tested and all four were faulty!)

Also, a lot of people buying SIDs are new to MB-SID and if their MB-SID doesn't make sound, I'd prefer they think it's their MB-SID and not the SID... this will help a lot in troubleshooting if you can assume the SID works.

>:(

I hope it was ironic.

Take the time Wilba. But I were you I would not test all the chips, just make a random test. But maybe don't you want to fight with returns. 8)

Personally the 2 chips you sold me more than 6 months ago are working very well  :D

Cheers

yes that was meant to be ironic.  i didn't order any chips.

I would like to thank Wilba for having the patience to test each chip and ship it.

You seriously shouldnt be thanking us for our patience in your e-mails.

It should be expected of us, and anyone who disagrees is pretty ignorant imo.

I certainly didnt feel like it was a long wait, especially when i consider whats involved.

Just recieved my sids today!  ;D

Nice to see new sids, with shiny legs on them! unlike my old dirtier looking sid chip.

Wilba i have to say youre handwriting is pretty sexy looking.  :P

Thanks a lot for sending them man, no customs charges or anything, im delighted.  :)