MIDIbox SEQ V4 Release + Feedback

TK.

Yup I'm aware of that function, but that involves having to do it manually and I was more looking for an automatic solution. I don't know if a lot of users actually use the SONG mode to its full potential with lots of different patterns, time signatures, lengths, etc., but for those who do, it could be useful to be able to restart certain tracks without having to do it manually, because a lot of time the timings are messed-up when switching from a pattern to another (especially if for example G1T1 was 128 steps long in the first pattern and 64 steps in the second pattern).

In my case I'd like to be able to just press play on the SEQ in song mode to record multiple synths at the same time without having to do anything on the SEQ, and therefore be able to tweak synth's parameters on the fly. It's also nice to be able to actually save a full arrangement as a SONG on the SEQ.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

On the SeqV4+, is there a way to constantly show the layers muting and avoid to let the finger on the mute button to access it?
If not, something like SHIFT+MUTE or a second MUTE press to alternate between tracks/layers should be great. And if we can keep the track muting on the 2nd row, this would be perfect.
Can be very useful in live for drum tracks. 

Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if I just didn't find it ;)
Thx!

Hi Bruno,

My understanding of the selection buttons (around the datawheel) is: 
click and release: change the selection row to that function
click and hold: temporarily switch to this function, when released it will revert back to the previous selection.

Does it work that way on your side?

Best,
Andy

On my side, for the mute button, click and hold temporary switch to layers mute, then switch to tracks mute on button release. Always whatever the previous function(menu) was. And the others behaves pretty the same.
If you are talking about something like short and long press difference when you said "click&release" and "click&hold", it's not the case, there's no diff. I just upgraded to the last firm version to be sure, same...

Best regards
Bruno

Edited by Antichambre

I think what I would expect is the Selection (Sel) row to always indicate the function indicated on the 8x selection buttons (SB). So if I am in Track, the Sel row should choose tracks 1-16/GxTy. Switching (click and release) to the mute mode will show the mutes. From Track, click and hold on Mute should allow temporary switching to mutes, then when released back to Track. For me, it seems somehow to get "stuck" so the mute SB stays on and the OLEDs stay stuck in mute.

I wonder if there is a conflict with option #9

Whenever a track or parameter layer is unmuted, it will be automatically selected.
This option can now be disabled in the OPTIONS page (item 9/29)

or similar? 

If you're already in track mode(only track button lit) and you press(short or long is the same) the mute button, both rows will shows the tracks mute(redundant), if you want to get back the track sel on the second row you must press track another time then track and mute buttons are lit, first row and oleds indicate the mutes, second row indicates the selection.

41 minutes ago, latigid on said:

I wonder if there is a conflict with option #9

Whenever a track or parameter layer is unmuted, it will be automatically selected.
This option can now be disabled in the OPTIONS page (item 9/29)

I have to admit that i don't understand this option :/

6 minutes ago, Antichambre said:

If you're already in track mode(only track button lit) and you press(short or long is the same) the mute button, both rows will shows the tracks mute(redundant), if you want to get back the track sel on the second row you must press track another time then track and mute buttons are lit, first row and oleds indicate the mutes, second row indicates the selection.

I think I notice this behaviour too and it could be improved!

What I would expect:
From SB Track or layers, press and hold SB Mute, the Sel row controls mutes, also displays on the OLEDs. Releasing SB Mute would revert to the previous Sel.

Does that fit with your idea?

Not exactly ;) for now the tracks mute is a constant page(appears and stays), the layers mute page is temporary(by holding mute button).
I wish the layers mute page to be a constant page too, shown on oleds + first row and keep the tracks mute on 2nd row. By using SHIFT + MUTE for example. Maybe just for the Drum tracks type.
Note: for Drum Tracks it's the Instruments mute page in fact.

Edited by Antichambre

What you expect, leave the MUTE page on MUTE button release and come back to previous page is not possible cause Layers mute will not be accessible any more.
I had a look on the code @TK. clearly mention it and disabled it.

static s32 SEQ_UI_Button_Mute(s32 depressed)
{
  static seq_ui_sel_view_t prev_sel_view = SEQ_UI_SEL_VIEW_NONE;

if( !depressed ) {
    prev_sel_view = seq_ui_sel_view;
    seq_ui_sel_view = SEQ_UI_SEL_VIEW_MUTE;
    seq_ui_button_state.TAKE_OVER_SEL_VIEW = 1;
  } else {
    if( !seq_ui_button_state.TAKE_OVER_SEL_VIEW )
      seq_ui_sel_view = prev_sel_view;
  }

seq_ui_button_state.MUTE_PRESSED = depressed ? 0 : 1;

#if 0
  // doesn't really work since MUTE button also selects layer mutes when pressed
  //
  if( seq_hwcfg_button_beh.mute ) {
    if( depressed ) return -1; // ignore when button depressed

ui_mute_prev_page = ui_page;
    SEQ_UI_PageSet(SEQ_UI_PAGE_MUTE);
  } else {
    if( seq_ui_button_state.MUTE_PRESSED ) {
      ui_mute_prev_page = ui_page;
    } else {
      if( ui_page == SEQ_UI_PAGE_MUTE )
        SEQ_UI_PageSet(ui_mute_prev_page);
    }
  }
#else
  if( depressed ) return -1; // ignore when button depressed

#endif

return 0; // no error
}

Edited by Antichambre

My best idea is to use the MUTE button to alternate between TRACKS MUTE and LAYERS MUTE pages.

When you click MUTE for first time(when previous page is something else than a MUTE page) you will enter in TRACKs MUTE page:

• OLEDs and 1st row show the TRACKs MUTE,
  • 2nd row shows the TRACK SELection directly, instead of the redundant TRACKs MUTE,
  • TRACK Sel and MUTE leds lit to indicates MUTE for TRACKs

IMG_1910.jpg?raw=1

Clicking a second time the MUTE button switches to the LAYERs MUTE page:

• OLEDs and 1st row show the LAYERs MUTE, Instruments for a drum track, parameters for all others,
  • 2nd row still shows the TRACK SELection, or the TRACKs MUTE. in live it's interesting to have the mutes for the 16 tracks and 16 percussions at the same time, this can be an option to choose.
  • MUTE led still lit, but now INSTruments or PARAMeters led lit depending on the Selected Track type(Drum or other), it indicates we are in the LAYERs MUTE and which type of layer it is.

Option34/34: For Layers Mute Page Direct tracks butt are: Track Selection
IMG_1913.jpg?raw=1

for a non drum track, layer button lit:
IMG_1912.jpg?raw=1

for a drum track, instrument button lit:
IMG_1911.jpg?raw=1

Option34/34: For Layers Mute Page Direct tracks butt are: Track Mute
IMG_1914.jpg?raw=1

Now second row indicates the Track mute instead of the Track Selection:
IMG_1915.jpg?raw=1

Clicking another time on MUTE button switches back to TRACKs MUTE page etc...
Clicking other button than MUTE leave the MUTE pages.
And EXIT button can be used to come back to previous page if this last was memorized on first MUTE click.

Best regards
Bruno

Edited by Antichambre
  • Like 2

Here a new github branch for the MUTE PAGES improvement, what i explained above, this is better than words, you can test it directly.
https://github.com/midibox/mios32/tree/feature/seqv4+_mute_pages_improvement

It remains me to add the option: For LAYERs MUTE page, second row is TRACK SEL or TRACK MUTE... For the moment it's TRACK SEL ;)   Done!

Best regards
Bruno

Edited by Antichambre
address page corrected ;), Option added.

Here is another Midibox in the wild. Lacking both time and skills to really build one myself, i had one of the trusted builder to handle that part for me.

This one was built by @Menzman (Michael Menze) here on the forum. Very nice chap and highly recommended if anyone else wanna take this route to get your hands on this wonderful piece of hardware. You can find him via the trusted builders list @ midiphy)

edit: if a moderator can move this to the correct thread in the forum (v4+) it would be great, i just saw i accidently put it in the wrong one :)

sorry! @Hawkeye ?

midibox.jpg

Edited by modus0perandi
wrong part f of the forum
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Antichambre said:

Full description is above in the thread ;)
I didn't test it with a non Midiphy SeqV4!

The idea is not only for the CPU nor for my panel layout. I have not looked further in the sources, but if it is midiphy related it should only be available for the related midiphy layout (by compiler flag or explicit options). Otherwise the mute/select workflow should work as usual (as the default option).

Edited by Rio

1 hour ago, Rio said:

The idea is not only for the CPU nor for my panel layout. I have not looked further in the sources, but if it is midiphy related it should only be available for the related midiphy layout (by compiler flag or explicit options). Otherwise the mute/select workflow should work as usual (as the default option).

It should change the behaviour of the mute for your version too. Test it and tell me what happens. the 2nd row(Direct tracks selection buttons) workflow is not an issue for your version cause they don't exist on the wilba CS. There's no change for the 1st row(GP buttons) they show exactly the same thing as before.

Edited by Antichambre

tested it.

sorry, but the navigation for mute page is totally confusing for me now ... I don't see the advantage there either. It's too much "click" for me. In the end i just want to mute something on the page quick & simple. I also have no problem as it has been solved so far.

Edited by Rio

47 minutes ago, Rio said:

tested it.

sorry, but the navigation for mute page is totally confusing for me now ... I don't see the advantage there either. It's too much "click" for me. In the end i just want to mute something on the page quick & simple. I also have no problem as it has been solved so far.

The advantage is to keep one hand free for something else during drum parts muting too. Question of taste and Live Act workflow habits, no worry.

Edited by Antichambre

@Rio The mute button behaviours is now an option. Old fashion(default), hold mute button to access Layer page or click alternates between the Tracks an Layers Mute pages. It's Option#34.

On 24/06/2020 at 9:20 PM, latigid on said:

I think I notice this behaviour too and it could be improved!

@latigid on The second row behaviour is improved for both mute pages access(Option#34). Second row indicates tracks selection for both pages by default and can be changed by option#35 for Layers Mute page , Rows are no more redundant.

The branch and release above in the thread had been refreshed.

Best regards
Bruno

Edited by Antichambre

@Antichambre

Ha, yeah, I guess window on top or bottom is a matter of personal taste.

I'm about to pull my clear caps off and address the light bleed. Thinking about using some 3/4" heat shrink tubing cut into rings. I saw you settled on black magic marker. 

After that, I will be installing the windowed keycaps. It requires a lot of hand pressure to install the caps onto the switches before inserting them into the PCB. With you having installed different key caps and removing and reorienting them a few times, did you have any issues pressing them onto the switch with the switches already soldered in the PCB?

Any advice?

Thanks

Edit: Sorry, perhaps this is for a different thread.

Edited by lp1977
Different Thread Topic