sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh quick question - is there enough room for heatsinks on those SIDs? Similar to the ones used by some peeps who've built an MB-6852? I couldn't tell from the photos, but it looks like a heatsink might be a tight fit. Thought I'd check anyway :)

I have the ones that fussylizard used and will try them out... the spacing between the SIDs is identical to MB-6582 but I'm not sure about the clearance with the control surface PCB above it. IMHO you don't need heatsinks for 6582A and there's enough ventilation to keep them from running hot.

Btw, why does the logo have nILS name written all over it?  ;)

nILS did the base PCB layout and designed the logo, however, he will claim he was just my slave and did whatever I told him to do.

It's funny that use of the DIN 1451 font makes things look like nILS did it... :)

Have you come across any alternatives to Ponoko as I live in the UK and the shipping is astronomical!

Unfortunately not... I'm sort of lucky that shipping from the Ponoko hub in NZ to Australia is reasonable and keeps the cost of the case down.

That is very cool compact design Wilba/Nils. I`m not sure I get you right... will it be sold only as a kit with/without SID, or you will sell just PCBs too?

Can I ask why people would want just the PCB when I'm also selling all the parts at bulk order prices?

Can I ask why people would want just the PCB when I'm also selling all the parts at bulk order prices?

You can, but I'll go on record as saying I'd prefer a kit :) In fact, I'd probably order a full kit even if I wanted to make customizations since that would seem to be a lot easier that way.

If the costs of the kit are marginal, I would say it'd be easier for everyone only to do the kits? But that's just my thought. I've never done a bulk order or anything, but, damn, they look like a lot of work. Huge thanks to everyone who puts those together!

Well, because of the US$200-US$250. Don`t get me wrong. I don`t think it is expensive, but I already have all the parts to build it and laser cutter at hand for making custom case at low price. I could make it pretty cheap if I can buy just PCBs. If you sell it just as a kit, I understand. No problem.

Well, because of the US$200-US$250. Don`t get me wrong. I don`t think it is expensive, but I already have all the parts to build it and laser cutter at hand for making custom case at low price. I could make it pretty cheap if I can buy just PCBs. If you sell it just as a kit, I understand. No problem.

OK... US$250 was overestimating... I'm getting closer to the final price, which should be US$205-US$210, including case and SIDs.

The cost breakdown is sort of like this:

Parts: US$72

PCBs: US$35

Case: US$45

SID x2: US$53

Parts include bulk ordered components from Mouser, Digikey, and my own stock of LCDs, encoders, knobs, rocker switches, screws, spacers etc.

I am now committed to a trial batch of 25 kits... meaning, I've started ordering enough for 25 full kits. If this trial batch of kits is a success and it leads to more batches (i.e. there's a long list of crazy people wanting one), then I can order extra PCBs when ordering for the next batch... i.e. "just PCB" orders can be handled quite easily if I know exactly how many there will be before I order PCBs.

Sasha: since I know your situation, PM me with details of what you want, and I will order extra PCBs just for you when I order this first batch of 25.

How is 6581 supported?

Cheers

Going by the pics on flickr, you'd have to solder a different Voltage regulator for the SID (in IC3, i think),

and soldering the different value filter caps for the 6581.

EDIT:

Im wrong! Theres a jumper select for 6581 and 8580!

Thats friggin awesome that ye fitted that in there.

How is 6581 supported?

For those who don't know, 6581 SIDs need 12V, 8580/6582A need 9V.

To use 8580/6582A SIDs, you can supply the box with any unregulated non-switchmode supply from a walwart (AC adapter). I've had it running nicely on a 9.3V AC 1A walwart and a 12V DC 500mA walwart. One 7809 voltage regulator will regulate a 9V supply to the SIDs, another 7805 voltage regulator will regulate a 5V supply to everything else.

To use 6581 SIDs, you must supply the box with a regulated non-switchmode 12V DC supply (~500mA), and use jumpers to bypass the bridge rectifier and supply the SIDs directly from this input power. It's not as elegant as adding a 12V regulator on the PCB... and the requirement to find a good regulated DC supply (and only ever use this supply) might be considered a hack by some people, but the design is optimized for 8580/6582A for good reasons. (If you can't please everybody, you might as well please the people buying your 6582A SIDs!)

Smithy is sort of correct though... you could replace 7809 with 7812 and make it a fixed 12V supply, but then you can't use 8580/6582A and must deal with more heat inside the case, the 7805 will run hotter because of the extra 3V of input... for me, not worth the effort to find out how well that would work.

sammichSID runs MIDIbox SID synth V2 firmware, obviously with custom configuration for the control surface wiring... so the CC parameters would be the same unless people changed it and recompiled.