sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

will the case source files be available if we wanted to order our own special color?

Yes. They are Inkscape SVG files and can even be edited with Inkscape (freeware vector graphics program) if people want to change things, which they might want to do if they use a thicker material like the wood veneers that Ponoko offers, or modify it to suit CNC router fabrication.

will this be compatible with upgrading it with the possible Core32 options that have been discussed.

I've made this as compatible as possible to upgrade to Core32 according to TK's current plans, which are, to use the PIC18F4685 as a "helper IC" to communicate with SIDs, DIN/DOUT and LCD modules. Thus there are pads for connecting a "daughter board" with the STM32 chip, and jumpers so the base PCB's MIDI In/Out is routed to the STM32, and the PIC connected to the STM32 by CAN bus. A fully populated Core32 PCB is too big to fit inside the case, but a smaller PCB dedicated to upgrading MB-SID V2 implementations (sammichSID and MB-6582) can be made, or optionally, people could cut a Core32 PCB to fit (messy, but theoretically possible, I'm going to try eventually!), or upgrade to a bigger case and connect the Core32 (and optionally add to or replace the control surface).

Good Lord, Wilba, what haven't you thought of! That is crazy! A tiny package that's also takes into account potential future developments. I'm almost scared to ask what your day-job is :)

Not that I'm trying to impose any pressure, but I was curious as to when you might be setting up the official bulk order stuff? I want to make sure I put my name down once the Wiki page is up (I assume you were going to do the bulk orders similar to the SID orders?).

Not that I'm trying to impose any pressure, but I was curious as to when you might be setting up the official bulk order stuff? I want to make sure I put my name down once the Wiki page is up (I assume you were going to do the bulk orders similar to the SID orders?).

Assuming all the parts are available and delivered in the next few weeks (i.e. by 20th October), I should have the first batch of kits packed and ready to ship by 1st November.

While I wait for parts, I hope to write the documentation - step-by-step build instructions, parts lists, installing firmware etc.

It would be nice to have all that done before accepting real orders, because then people know what is involved in building the kit.

But I know how MIDIbox regulars like to get on a list ASAP. If you want to pre-order now, just email your details (NOT MONEY!) to: Jason.S.Williams@gmail.com

Include your MIDIbox username so I know who I'm talking to!

"Pre-order" just means I collect your email address, and I reserve a kit for you.

There is no commitment to buy, you can cancel or wait for another batch with no bad karma!

Guestimate Prices: (actual payment will be in AUD and include PayPal fees.)

• full kit, 2x 6582A SIDs: US$205
  • full kit, no SIDs: US$152
  • registered post shipping to USA: US$17
  • registered post shipping to Europe: US$20

Please tell me your preferred acrylic colour. I hope it's dark grey tint :) but some people prefer black opaque or red tint. I might do 15 dark grey tint, 5 red tint, 5 black opaque. I don't really know... give me some feedback and I'll see what I can do.

**UPDATE** The first batch of 25 kits are now all reserved.

If you send in a pre-order now, it will be for another batch, unless someone cancels their order from the first batch.

Damn that red looks hot! I would personally prefer a red-tint case myself. If I had the pick of any color, though, I'd probably go for a translucent blue. I used a blue front-panel for my almost sort of working MB-6582 and it looks really nice with amber or green LEDs. Otherwise translucent grey is fine by me. I'm not a fan of the non-transluscent colors though. Them boards are pretty and I want to see thems!

Though honestly I'm more excited about being able to build a Sammich more than what it actually looks like. :) So, really, I won't complain if you offer whatever colors you can, particularly if other colors would complicate things.

Can someone clarify for me. What can/can't this version of the midibox sid do? What about patch storage? I have been using a C64 with MSSIAH and dual SIDs and like the 6 note poly, 3 note/3 track or 6 track modes but don't like having to have a monitor.

I've been wanting to build a midibox for ages and this one sounds like the push I've been needing. If it would have had a filter option my head would have exploded. :o

On an aside, I noticed those photos appear to have a covering over the LCD? Is that part of the kit or are we on our own for having to figure out that part?

There is a clear acrylic piece (2mm or 3mm thick) that can snap into the hole of the front panel. It is held in place just by being a tight fit, and can be pushed out if you apply force, but that seems unlikely from normal use and careful transport. You could use superglue or acrylic glue to permanently adhere it to the top panel. I will include this piece in all kits, even if/when I sell kits without cases.

Can someone clarify for me. What can/can't this version of the midibox sid do? What about patch storage? I have been using a C64 with MSSIAH and dual SIDs and like the 6 note poly, 3 note/3 track or 6 track modes but don't like having to have a monitor.

It can do everything a MIDIbox SID V2 can do with two (stereo) SID configuration (i.e. it is not a multi-Core setup, it is two SIDs and one Core)

Go to http://www.ucapps.de/ and click the links under "MIDIbox SID V2 Synth" in the left menu bar. Read the User Manual in particular.

You can do 6 note poly with the "Multi" engine, or use 6 oscilators (i.e. 3 oscillators in stereo) in the "Lead" engine, or two independent basslines with the "Bassline" engine, plus the "Drum" engine.

It has five "BankStick" slots, so you can store 4 banks of 128 patches, plus 128 "Ensembles" (patch/engine configurations). Five "BankStick" memory ICs are included in the kit.

The sammichSID base PCB is not designed to be used in a multi-Core configuration. The PSU section can only handle two SIDs, and the control surface is missing SID 1/2/3/4 buttons. People should consider MB-6582 if they want the full 8xSID experience.

I've been wanting to build a midibox for ages and this one sounds like the push I've been needing. If it would have had a filter option my head would have exploded. :o

What do you mean by "filter option"?

is black opaque a non translucent look?

Yes. I am actually getting some Ponoko samples of a black opaque acrylic with a matte (almost satin) finish. Apparently this material is fingerprint and scratch resistant, perhaps more like black anodized aluminium. I will probably order a panel of 5 cases in this material even if there are less than 5 orders for it.

I just got pre-order emails for 13, plus 10 who have expressed interest in this thread and privately, which means there's possibly only 2 kits available from the first batch of 25.

People who send me pre-order emails now should expect to go on a waiting list... but please do it anyway, so I can perhaps order different case colours in advance. (i.e. I might order 5 red tint cases even if there's only 2 wanted from the first batch).

What do you mean by "filter option"?

Thanks for the response. One thing that just crossed my mind was power supply. Does the kit come with one or do we get our own?

As for the filter option I was referring to a project where someone added analog filters to their midibox sid. I think it was a Moog filter copy and the person made it a rack mount.