sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

I dont think its fair really to add the cost of tools, into the cost of making a sammichSID.

I mean youll have those tools for life, which will be useful for a lot of non-MB related stuff,

or for simply testing/repairing power supplies around the home, and all sorts of stuff.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

FWIW I don't use a vice or helping hands, not for this kind of work... maybe occasionally I'll use the helping hands to hold a phono plug while I solder wires.

For flat things like resistors, you can stick them into the PCB, flip it over and solder.

For bigger things, I use a method I call "tacking" (it probably has some other name, I don't know)... basically, holding the parts in place with one hand while carrying a blob of solder on the soldering iron tip and wiping it into the joint, thus creating a temporary joint to hold the part in place while soldering the other joints properly, then doing proper joints on the "tacked" joints. This lets me temporarily attach a lot of parts at the same time (i.e. all the IC sockets by tacking their corner pads) and then laying the board flat and doing all the other joints properly.

Helping hands: I have one, and I use it for connectors on wire leads.

I grab the connector in the clip, and hold the wire(s) with my left hand while I hold the iron in my right. Tin the wire and connector with solder in advance. Easy connections.

Board Vise: I use it a LOT when building up a PCB, but only if it can hold the board by the edges.(The jaws have V-grooves for that)

Once the board is in, I am usually grabbing for the big locking handle at the bottom, to flip the board up or over, re-position it for stuffing or soldering or a visual inspection. Especially with skinny boards like the mixer V2, it just makes life easier to keep it in the vise most of the time. I find that holding the board vertical gets a lot of use, I can stuff and solder easily without anything falling out.

It's all about personal preferences. We all have different habits and tricks we have learned along the way..

I'll never forget the first time I saw someone remove all the chips from a board using just a propane torch. Heat the entire backside of the board at once, then slam it into the edge of the table and watch the chips fly off.. I thought he was crazy, but it did work!

Well, the n00b questions can be handled by the forums, ucapps.de, and the wiki so I don't think it would be as bad as you might think.

Now constantly telling people how to use the forums, ucapps and the wiki? Well, some of the admins have turned that into quite a refined art :)

Well, the n00b questions can be handled by the forums, ucapps.de, and the wiki so I don't think it would be as bad as you might think.

lol. You have no idea how far off you are. What's happening on the forum is a fraction of what's really being asked. Email is such an awesome thing at times ;)

Olorin: You'll be fine!  I was pretty close to a complete electronics n00b when I started my core with stereo SID pair a few months ago.  I read this site a bunch on my free time, asked questions on the forum and from my friends, and now I have a minimal stereo setup!  I'm also completely obsessed, and am hoarding SIDs with plans to build two MB-6582, a sammichSID, and as many other things as I find SID chips for!  Let me know if you need any help.

On topic: I'm excited about the Sammich!  I'm still in the preorder stage.

hello sorry if this question has been answered, i have been looking at the sammich for a few weeks now and I still can't work it out, can you still use the MIDIbox SID V2 SysEx Editor with the sammich?

Thanks.

Yes. The sammichSID is the exact same as a Midibox SID, with 2 sid chips in it.

• 2 weeks later...

great tool.

can i add some more buttons or encoders?

Kinda defeats the purpose though don't you think? Sounds like you might be better off with an MB-6582, optionally with your own control surface? Wilba designed the sammichSID as a no-frills, easy to build synth in a small package. As a result, though I could be wrong, I don't think it's expandable.

I try not to rule anything out... like people wanting to use the PCBs in their own case design and adding more buttons, encoders, LEDs, etc. Therefore, header J2 on the control surface PCB can connect to additional DIN/DOUT modules (or shift registers on another PCB with control surface components). However, that's totally left as an exercise for the end user - they would have to design a compatible case, make it themselves, do all the extra wiring, deal with the now sub-optimal PSU/heatsinks placement (assuming you extend to the right), deal with the "optimized" long male header/female header connection between the PCBs (which suits "plug-in" but doesn't suit ribbon cable/IDC connectors), etc.

In short, sammichSID is not designed to be extended, and it's a lot of work, more work than just buying an MB-6582 base PCB and building your own custom control surface.