sammichSID Prototype

Wilba

Based on his other post, he used acrylic on the Arctic Ice case.

I think you'll get better results with enamel paint. BTW my experience differs slightly though... the Tamiya is quite liquid out of the bottle... yet very dense with pigment. Two coats is all you need, if you fill up the engraving two times and squeegee away the excess... since both coats are thin, after drying it will sink down into the engraving. Thick coats won't sink down so much, and will stick to the mask, and the edges won't be as clean.

SRSLY the results I'm getting with enamel put my original acrylic paint filling to shame, and I'm a bit embarrassed it's taken me over a year to try out other paints and techniques. I hope there aren't too many messed up sammichSID panels due to my negligence. :whistle:

P.S. kaffeSEQ will be available in Arctic Ice. It's amusing that people want kaffeSEQ when hardly anyone knows what it does, including me!

The design brief was "make something better than Gorf". Maybe that was nILS' idea or maybe I just told him it had to be better than Gorf if we wanted me to sell kits. I forget. I used my powers of persuasion on nILS to tweak his design and make it more "kit-friendly", but I have NFI how to use it. Maybe once upon a time I did, way back when I made that proto which is just a bit of veroboard stuck on top of a sammichSID base. It's been a while since then. It has steps and stuff. It uses sammichSID-style bits. It fits together. I came up with the name, though... and if you like how cool it looks, that's all my idea, please send kudos and cash to Jason.S.Williams@gmail.com but SRSLY don't ask me what it does.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's correct. The Arctic Ice Sammich was painted with acrylic. It took forever and didn't really fill the engravings in a particularly awesome fashion, but the color is nice. Here go a few photos that show the difference. Enamel is the way to go. All we need to figure out now is how well an enamel paint marker works. Who's going to be the first brave soul to give that a try? ****EDIT*** I used three coats of enamel on the black Sammich. Two would have been plenty had I spent a few minutes really cleaning out the engraving before I started and spent less time wiping away excess paint with a paper towel.

post-8060-054637000 1291073390_thumb.jpg

post-8060-028100400 1291073534_thumb.jpg

post-8060-055447600 1291073543_thumb.jpg

post-8060-033642500 1291073572_thumb.jpg

post-8060-031318900 1291073581_thumb.jpg

post-8060-007226700 1291073593_thumb.jpg

post-8060-071254600 1291073604_thumb.jpg

post-8060-065230500 1291073619_thumb.jpg

post-8060-055583300 1291073627_thumb.jpg

post-8060-095023700 1291073634_thumb.jpg

Edited by Siempre La Luna

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I got my kit the other day here in Los Angeles. The build process is going great. Although Ive hit one snag.... my kit came with a 2x6 female header instead of 2x5. Im thinking this isnt a big deal if I cut two of the pins off. Does this sound like a good solution? Did anyone else have this problem?

• 1 month later...

Spam offer Count +2

Yeah, but has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mebbé we all report auction as illegal?

Mebbé pointless, but mebbé not so pointless if enough peoples clicky?

Are those Speak and Spells (maths etc) in the background? What's the yellow synth? DSI? Nice gear :yes:

Glad you lie it. That's MIDI enabled Speak & Spell, Read, & Math. The yellow synth is an E-Mu XL-7 stuffed with a bunch of different ROMs sitting behind a MIDIfied SK-5. There's an E-MU E5000 in the rack under it. The tattoo says "Satan also has his miracles"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have my sammichSID since about one year now and I really don't have time to use it so I want to sell it and the Korg Kontrol49 I bought in the same time.

I'm living in Quebec City, Canada.

Let me know if someone is interested by one or the other.

Regards,

Sylvain Rousseau

Edited by Sylvain

There is a clear acrylic piece (2mm or 3mm thick) that can snap into the hole of the front panel. It is held in place just by being a tight fit, and can be pushed out if you apply force, but that seems unlikely from normal use and careful transport. You could use superglue or acrylic glue to permanently adhere it to the top panel. I will include this piece in all kits, even if/when I sell kits without cases.

I was just re-reading this thread, and this is the first time i've noticed this. I assumed the piece included in my kit just was opague waste from when the kit was cut. I never took the protective cover off :blush:

You're not the only person to throw out the clear window piece.

I can supply spares, fitting them is sometimes tricky, which is why I do it, also, if a window is slightly too big or the hole too small, I try a different one until it fits.

You're not the only person to throw out the clear window piece.

I can supply spares, fitting them is sometimes tricky, which is why I do it, also, if a window is slightly too big or the hole too small, I try a different one until it fits.

Hehe, luckily I kept it. I do a little casting in silicon, and I was planning to cast a clear window using that as an original. Perhaps it would have been helpful to note it in the documentation to mitigate against the fact that most of us are complete idiots ;)