298 replies to this topic

#61 TK.

TK.

MIDIbox Guru

• Administrators
  • 13,582 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 November 2011 - 19:33

Internally 4 different patterns are running (stored in 4 different bank files), but the MBSEQV4L user interface combines these 4 patterns to a single pattern (at least you won't notice the split).
Means: pattern changes always happen for both sequences to the same pattern number.
If somebody prefers to switch pattern independent from each other (e.g. Seq1 plays 1:A1/2:A1 while Seq2 plays 3:A2/4:A2), I could add an option (e.g. configurable in MBSEQ_C.V4) to handle pattern switching based on the Seq1/2 button status (note that both sequence buttons can be selected at once).

I find the current handling more intuitive since you don't need to take care to select both Seq buttons before changing two patterns synchronously.
If a certain theme (e.g. played by Seq2) should be re-used in multiple patterns, just copy&paste it.
However, as long as options are easy to implement, I can add them of course... this one would make the sequences totally independent from each other, but the usage would be more cumbersome (bad for live situations)

MIDI channels (and ports) are part of the pattern.
The sequencer engine takes care that events (especially note off events) will be sent to the intended MIDI channel/port even after pattern changes and if the MIDI echo effect is active, regardless of the number of delayed notes.
-> absolutely no risk for hanging notes - I'm proud about this fact! ;-)

These details simplify to answer your questions:

Imagine A1 and A2 are playing. A1 is set to midi channel 1, A2 to midi channel 2.

In reality (current default UI handling) pattern 1:A1, 2:A1, 3:A1, 4:A1 are playing, you could only switch to 1:A2, 2:A2, 3:A2, 4:A2
But 1:A1 and 2:A1 can be assigned to a different MIDI channel and port than 3:A1 and 4:A1

You also saved previously A3 which was set to midi channel 3 and A4 which was set to midi channel 4. Now is it possible to switch the playback from A1+A2 to A3+A4?

1:A2 and 2:A2 can be assigned to a different channel/port as well as 3:A2 and 4:A2

If you would setup your synthesizers in such a way, each using a different midi channel, you could use/trigger even 16 different synthesizers, all from a single mb seq v4l, of course only 2 at once at maximum.

Is everything above possible?

yes, this is possible.

Best Regards, Thorsten.
Posted Image Buy TK a Beer Disclaimer: buying TK a beer gets you absolutely nothing in return likesuchas firmware enhancements, technical advices and MIDIbox troubleshooting assistance.

#62 Mudi

Mudi

MIDIbox Newbie

• Programmer
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:07

In reality (current default UI handling) pattern 1:A1, 2:A1, 3:A1, 4:A1 are playing, you could only switch to 1:A2, 2:A2, 3:A2, 4:A2

Does this mean the notes in Seq1 and Seq2 HAVE TO be always the same, currently?

#63 TK.

TK.

MIDIbox Guru

• Administrators
  • 13,582 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 November 2011 - 22:34

Does this mean the notes in Seq1 and Seq2 HAVE TO be always the same, currently?

Different notes/CCs are stored in bank 1/2 and bank 3/4, but if your question was, if currently only the same combination of Seq1/2 patterns can be stored/restored, then my answer is yes.
But as already mentioned: if somebody prefers to store/restore Seq1/2 independent from each other, it's not a big deal to add an option for such a usecase. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.
Posted Image Buy TK a Beer Disclaimer: buying TK a beer gets you absolutely nothing in return likesuchas firmware enhancements, technical advices and MIDIbox troubleshooting assistance.

#64 Mudi

Mudi

MIDIbox Newbie

• Programmer
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:26

No, your design is good, as long as the notes can be different in Seq1 and Seq2, that's great. Triggering both always together is even better.

Having a few more "shift" buttons would be interesting for future extensions, I was thinking of 5 buttons, one center button, around it four arrow buttons in each direction: up, down, right, left. Then you could use those, in all kind of combinations to access even more (future) functionality, e.g. various pattern saving/loading/changing functionality.

Edited by Mudi, 18 November 2011 - 02:28.

#65 cit

cit

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationGermany - NRW-BOH

Posted 20 November 2011 - 19:21

sorry for my stupid question , is it posible to add cv and gate ? i didn´t find a info on the forum. sorry . i don´t have any experience with your componetnts. just builded a ml 303 with your source:-)

thanks,
cit

Edited by cit, 20 November 2011 - 19:22.

a moog is a moog and a moog a moog .
BOB rest in peace!

#66 cd_reloaded

cd_reloaded

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 20:12

Hello Cit,
The Firmware of the MB_SEQV4L is based on the SEQ V4 Firmware wich supports analog-out modules. I do not know if Thorsten left that part of program script in the V4L-Firmware. But I can imagine that he did. There are connectors (J19 as far as I know) on the LPC17-Core-Modul to connect analog out (cv/gate) modules. I do not exactly know the facts – but I doubt that it is impossible and I think it will not be very difficult.
C

#67 cit

cit

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 17:20

hi christian,

that sounds nice. if this is posible it will be verry nice.

thx
BOB rest in peace!

#68 cd_reloaded

cd_reloaded

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 21:25

Here ist what I call a minimum case – in fact it is just a protection from above and from underneath. But it works for me – thats all I want since I have already some Midi tools that look very similar, as you can see on the pictures.
Those acrylic parts were manufactured by formulor.de, which ist the german version of ponoko.com.
The elements that I used to get the boards manufactured are here in this svg-File. KLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD
Look at the technical specefications of Formulor or Ponoko. The different colours mean engravings or cutting thru the material.
If you know how to handle Corel-Draw or Adobe-Illustrator it will be easy for you to modify those files to build your own case and to modify the file the way you want it to get complete protection from the sides, the front and the back. Do whatever you like.
If the PCBs are white, like the PCBS of the prototype series, I do not recommend laser engravings. The printings on the PCB are perfect to read thru the acryl material. If you have dark PCBs or if you choose to have a coloured acryl housing, you should have the material laser engraved. (consider that you should never choose same LED and housing colour. You will not see the LEDs, the light will be fitered) But do whatever you want ...
The holes fit perfect. Maybe the holes for the switches could be a little bit smaller. I think I chosed 4.6 mm to be on the safe side. You can modify that as well, but make shure you don't touch the exact position!
One more recommendation: Solder the transistors like I did: Bend them, so they lie flat on the face. That will provide the space needed to mount the front panel.
The Micro-SD-Card Adapter sticks on the bottom panel with a double-sided adhesive tape.
Here are some picture of the final result – enjoy.

PS: if you need further information concerning the case, don't hesitate to contact me. There is a svg-file of the PCB wich I used as the basis for the exact position of he holes. I couldn't find it it must be on my computer anywhere. Maybe I have to generate a new one. But this file could help you designing your own cases ...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by cd_reloaded, 22 November 2011 - 21:49.

#69 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

MIDIbox Guru

• Frequent Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationGermany, Munich

Posted 22 November 2011 - 21:35

Great work!
Am really looking forward to play with one of those on my gfs midified piano :)
The space below the frontpanel PCB will probably also allow for a battery pack for "mobile" use :)

Greets!
Peter

Edited by Hawkeye, 22 November 2011 - 21:38.

#70 jojjelito

jojjelito

MIDIbox Guru

• Programmer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 22 November 2011 - 22:26

Looking good! Wonder if I should Sammichize that case or not? Put some hex pattern on the side?

Table-top sequencing fun for the masses. Who knew? Fantaastic work!

Cheers,
J
Zehntausende sitzen zu Hause und haben Angst.

#71 Elop

Elop

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 22 November 2011 - 22:46

I would also like to have a Sammich like case with honeycomb side panels :rolleyes:

#72 cit

cit

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 18:20

hi chris,

nice done, thanks for the files. can´t wait till we have the pcb´s in our hands.
BOB rest in peace!

#73 tashikoma

tashikoma

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationClisson France

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:57

wow... :)

Edited by tashikoma, 01 December 2011 - 01:58.

#74 jojjelito

jojjelito

MIDIbox Guru

• Programmer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 02 December 2011 - 00:28

I would also like to have a Sammich like case with honeycomb side panels :rolleyes:

I need to figure out a suitable height plus have some time off before something happens.
Meanwhile, and slightly OT (due to minimal to none MIDIbox content), here's my Shruthi XT panel cut in Plexiglas Radiant which I'll be using just because I can get away with it:
Posted Image

plus the back and sides in black with my fave Platypus:
Posted Image
Factory and packing smudge included :thumbsup: Guess I could wipe it, but nahh.

Edit: Questions were asked, this has nothing to do with MIDIbox. The Shruthi XT was made by fcd72 over at Mutable Instruments forums. Similar techniques 595's and 4051's were used though. Just in case: Sincere apologies to our mods if this offends anyone or breaks some rule. Thread hijacking is not intended, just wanted to show some Plexiglas Radiant work. Further Shruthi talk can be taken in other parts of the forum Posted Image

Flickr pr0n if you can stand my non-existant photo skills and lack of much natural light this time of year: Plexi Panel Pr0n

/J

Edited by jojjelito, 02 December 2011 - 11:22.

#75 cit

cit

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 20:03

I need to figure out a suitable height plus have some time off before something happens.
Meanwhile, and slightly OT (due to minimal to none MIDIbox content), here's my Shruthi XT panel cut in Plexiglas Radiant which I'll be using just because I can get away with it:
Posted Image

plus the back and sides in black with my fave Platypus:
Posted Image
Factory and packing smudge included :thumbsup: Guess I could wipe it, but nahh.

Edit: Questions were asked, this has nothing to do with MIDIbox. The Shruthi XT was made by fcd72 over at Mutable Instruments forums. Similar techniques 595's and 4051's were used though. Just in case: Sincere apologies to our mods if this offends anyone or breaks some rule. Thread hijacking is not intended, just wanted to show some Plexiglas Radiant work. Further Shruthi talk can be taken in other parts of the forum Posted Image

Flickr pr0n if you can stand my non-existant photo skills and lack of much natural light this time of year: Plexi Panel Pr0n

/J

nice work... if you could do this for christians frontpanel it wil be verry cool.

any how nice work :drool:
BOB rest in peace!

#76 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

MIDIbox Guru

• Frequent Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts
  • LocationGermany, Munich

Posted 02 December 2011 - 23:49

Awesome color! J, please do a purple ´shroom design with some engraved buddhas on it :) a psy-trance seq lite for the masses :) ´ave a nice weekend!

#77 jojjelito

jojjelito

MIDIbox Guru

• Programmer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:35

The trick is that is not always purple, it bends the light. Sometimes it's gold, sometimes it has a mirror finish.
But, yes - there will be 'shrooms, Buddhas and such on there. For a moment I was tempted to go with Flaschbier and Werner so I guess it's open for now. Maybe I'll stick with Nyan. Or Cthulu.

Have a good one!

#78 cd_reloaded

cd_reloaded

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 17:05

@ jojjelito: This ist how my housing looks. At the moment I'm not having the sequencer right next to me so I can not measure the thickness of the frontpanel PCB. (aprox. 1mm)
These dimensions fit.

/Edit TK: this diagram is obsolete, see next page (6) for updated picture with new spacer sizes (5mm + 2x18mm)
Link to original diagram (again: obsolete)
http://www.pixel-sch.../dimensions.jpg

Edited by TK., 21 December 2011 - 20:22.

#79 mastomo

mastomo

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 06 December 2011 - 17:10

hi everyone,

@cd_relaoded : your case is amazing, i must admit that i would like the same :flowers:

#80 cd_reloaded

cd_reloaded

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 17:42

Hi mastomo,
just download the attached file, choose wich frontpanel you like (the one with engravings or the clear one) and place it + the backpanel on the Formulor/Ponoko-Template (download from Formulor.de/Ponoko.com) and you will have the same ....
And if you are familiar with Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw, there are no limits to your creativity.

Attached Files

Edited by cd_reloaded, 06 December 2011 - 17:44.