midiphy SEQ v4+

latigid on

Could you post the dimensions of the unit? It looks like it might stand a bit taller than the Wilba Seq in the Heidenreich case, and in my setup (read: table with rack on top), there's not much spare room above it. When not doing music, I like to slide it underneath the rack. Thanks a lot!

8 hours ago, u-link said:

Could you post the dimensions of the unit? It looks like it might stand a bit taller than the Wilba Seq in the Heidenreich case, and in my setup (read: table with rack on top), there's not much spare room above it. When not doing music, I like to slide it underneath the rack. Thanks a lot!

Of course:

44.5cm width (+ side screwheads, 1 or 2 millimeters on each side)

14 cm depth (front to midi ports)

8 cm height (standing on the table, incl. rubber feet) without the encoder knobs.

With encoder knobs, i'd say currently 9.5cm height, it should go down to 9.3cm - read below.

In conclusion: the case is really compact (for its contents!), we had to do some optimizations to have the waveshare MCU board fit in there, especially we need low-profile female headers on the wCore PCB. But these are available and unproblematic, now all works out. Do you have the Heidenreich case measurements for comparison? I'd be interested!

Regarding the encoder knobs: we will probably suggest to Adrian to counter-sink them "into the frontpanel", i.e. have bigger cutouts, like another famous sequencer out there :).
This has to do with them not scratching the frontpanel when pushing them down, and optimizing height for another few millimeters.

Have a great weekend, y'all!
Many greets, Peter

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Of course:

44.5cm width (+ side screwheads, 1 or 2 millimeters on each side)

14 cm depth (front to midi ports)

8 cm height (standing on the table, incl. rubber feet) without the encoder knobs.

With encoder knobs, i'd say currently 9.5cm height, it should go down to 9.3cm - read below.

In conclusion: the case is really compact (for its contents!), we had to do some optimizations to have the waveshare MCU board fit in there, especially we need low-profile female headers on the wCore PCB. But these are available and unproblematic, now all works out. Do you have the Heidenreich case measurements for comparison? I'd be interested!

Regarding the encoder knobs: we will probably suggest to Adrian to counter-sink them "into the frontpanel", i.e. have bigger cutouts, like another famous sequencer out there :).
This has to do with them not scratching the frontpanel when pushing them down, and optimizing height for another few millimeters.

Have a great weekend, y'all!
Many greets, Peter

Hey Peter,

I measured 43,8cm x 15,7cm x 8,8cm (WxDxH) on mine, including the rubber feet. Encoder knobs top and the (rounded) edge at the back are just about the same height. 

You are actually using very tall encoder knobs on the pics. The tapered, low profile ones on the other famous sequentixcer do handle very well i gotta add!

Thanks for info and have a nice weekend, too! BTW, do you not drink beer? Otherwise you should add a "buy Hawkeye a beer" signature, too. I'll also buy you an Apfelschorle if need be.

Best way to buy Hawkeye a beer is to visit him in Munich! *2 beers maximum applies* ;)

Guys, I was wondering if all the feature requests TK has implemented in the firmware have been documented anywhere besides on the thread?
I haven't read through the MIDIbox manual on ucapps and the wiki extensively to make sure.

It would be awesome to have an up to date manual for the SEQ V4(+). Since I've a lot of free time I could probably help out with that aspect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Best way to buy Hawkeye a beer is to visit him in Munich! *2 beers maximum applies* ;)

Guys, I was wondering if all the feature requests TK has implemented in the firmware have been documented anywhere besides on the thread?
I haven't read through the MIDIbox manual on ucapps and the wiki extensively to make sure.

It would be awesome to have an up to date manual for the SEQ V4(+). Since I've a lot of free time I could probably help out with that aspect.

I will gladly help out on that, too!

I saw pictures of Midibox meet-ups back in the PIC-days - are there anymore of those happening? If so, I would be delighted to join.

18 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I'd rather not "countersink" them - I always feel better without dust getting inside the enclosure.

15 hours ago, u-link said:

If you mean counterbore(chambering) not sure he will be able to do it because of the panel thickness.
About the other famous sequencer like, I don't know how it's made but I've got a MPC X and there's a plastic panel under the front panel

Fichier%2014-07-2018%2015%2001%2023.jpeg

47 minutes ago, ilmenator said:

I'd rather not "countersink" them - I always feel better without dust getting inside the enclosure.

You will get the same problem with the switches, isn't it? Then...

With a bigger cut-out, the problem is that only one knob diameter will fit inside, so no customisation ;)
I think about this (thin encoder) diameter is 14.2mm, https://store.djtechtools.com/products/chroma-caps-knobs-and-faders
ChromaCaps-_All_Types.jpg?1507223356EachKnobLabled-Blue-bettergrey.jpg?14914

Have a good afternoon!
Bruno

11 minutes ago, latigid on said:

Nice offer, I would say that I'm interested in the covers to block all of these evil holes, but certainly we wouldn't be purchasing anything for a long time. If they can give an idea on pricing please let me know!

Done! I return to you and Peter once I've got an answer ;)

It's only now I realised it has 4 midi ins and 8 midi outs after Hawkeye pointed it out to me! 

I think originally Andy in the other thread you were going for 2 midi ins and 6 midi outs?

Just wanted to thank you for giving us the extra ports.

Now I can easily hook up 2 keyboards a drum pad and the LoopA V2 to the input ports when it's done. :)

LoopA has six ports (two ins, three outs and one "BLM" that could be used as a normal out or I/O combined on a DIN8)

The v4+ has I2C (four outs) and MIDI8. MIDI8 is either 4I/4O or 3I/3O with a BLM. In case the BLM is used, the 7th DIN8 connector is redundant. But, you could use it as a power supply to the BLM and/or a +/-12V PSU.

Wait until you see what Bruno's working on!

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is being made!

After quite some hours of video documenting (6 hours of input video material, over 60 GB), here is the first part of the promised extensive video build tutorial (edited down to 2 hours).
Many thanks to Smithy and Andy for watching the video up front and for providing corrections/recommendations (added as subtitles or later on in the ERRATA section of the youtube description text) where necessary.

We will add a second (and final) similar video tutorial for the rest of the build (User Interface PCBs and case installation), once the case and final PCBs are ready.

Adrian and Andy are working hard to finalize those: the case needs to be a tiny bit optimized for the 3U Rack installation option and Andy is preparing the updated JOG PCB (which will be called JA) for the last-minute TPD addition. Thank you both!

Will keep you updated, when you can obtain the PCBs, that are referenced in the above build tutorial. If you want to build a SEQv4+, you could start with these, while the rest is being finalized.

Many greets and have a great weekend!
Peter