somebody interested in x0xb0x PCB`s (BATCH CLOSED)

Sasha

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know... I was waiting for the salary for las month, so I can do another test panel out of aluminum. It finally arrived.  :)

Last test panel (red) had an error (forget to match the holes with new button alignment) It was made out of steel which is nice if you want to paint it, but powder coated aluminum will be better solution as it can be laser engraved which probably makes it cheaper than screen printing... need to check. Another thing is panels will probably be water cut instead engraving as aluminum cannot be lasercut as steel. Laser company get themselves water jet machine now and they told me the price is the same as laser cutting.

Big problem her is there is not much companies that are specialized for front panels. The only one company that I know doing front panels out of mechanical engraved anodized aluminum is very expensive. So, I need to get material from South and ship i to North of country. I have a little problem as cutting company prefer to cut everything out a big sheet of aluminum but it cannot be shipped by currier service, only by car. I am waiting for their answer about possibility to supply them multiple sheets having 4 stacked x0x panels on one sheet. That would be easier for cutting service and for me too as hopefully panels of that size can be shipped by currier service. I`m only afraid that bigger panels can be bent or something. As you can see producing panels here can be cheaper but it takes some strategic planing that can be problem if you don`t have a car. Also all that takes money to realize, not so much but for me it could be a problem. I`m still thinking of way to make it out of steel and painted myself before screen printing. It will probably be bit expensive than I initially planed and will take some more effort from my side to paint it (I don`t own dust proof painting chamber even my father have good paining compressor) I will check how much pro painters would charge for that. I`m really trying to cut the costs as much as I can. One more thing... having the panes made out of steel will be more expensive to send as it is few times heavier than aluminum. Good think it is not very big.

I know I didn`t gave you much input details but what do you think about it all. What would you like. Only anodized aluminum is out of deal.

You can all help me by sharing your thought about panels... like what do you think about material used... painted steel, aluminum, what colour, screen print or laser engraving. Everything can be done, it is just matters of what most of the interested people wants. I prefer panel in colour, but same time I think only black suits to all of people. If making custom panels is my business i would make some pallet but it is not possible to have more than one colour for this batch. I will offer an upgrade later (custom panel or casing and illuminated buttons but not before I finish mine x0x) Also, it would be great to screenprint the panel in 2 colours... for instance on non-black panel it is best to have black outline and white keyboard buttons. There is alot of options. First, I`m not sure would you prefer cheaper and decent panels or best as can be made. Maybe I should make separate thread and poll to collect your votes when I have more info from supplier and cutting company. Until then we can speak here about it.

Well, back to what important, I have done some screen printing in the past and love the look, as well the option to have more colors.

As for laser engraving, never done before so I have no idea, I guess asking for engraving for the text and screening for the added color is too much  ::)

Price wise, I guess you will know in the near future but just for your opinion - screen printing Vs. laser engraving, I know that in small quantities screening is pricey, don't know about the price of laser but In Israel it's cost is higher then screening, even in small quantities.

The sample image you provided in your first post looks wonderful, and if we are going in that direction (I in for it) screen printing is the only option,

oh, and you'll have to tell me where to get the knobs in the first photo  ;D

About the plates, It's up to you and your comport, it doesn't matter to me as It will be painted.

Asaf

The knobs are from Sibalco. My friend get them for his controller and they are splined shaft. They are just for illustration. I`m not sure does sibalco sells D shaft with propper orientation in smaller quantities, as those splined are stocked on their spare list. They are very expensive if you ask me 1 EUR piece and even they look and feels very nice and they are very good build quality (no mold signs on it) they don`t worth 1 EUR >:( There is another US based company, i think it is Sifam, and they have exactly the same knobs as Sibalco. ???

Sasha,

I have looked at Sifam, they have those knobs, both in regular and D type shaft,

I have send them a quote request just to know if it's even in a normal price range.

The soft finish knob body in black with pointer in Grey / Red / Yellow / Green / Blue

has no minimum pieces order, all the other are at 1000 pieces minimum.

Will update once I will know more,

Asaf

Maybe I should make separate thread and poll to collect your votes when I have more info from supplier and cutting company. Until then we can speak here about it.

painted steel/aluminum

screen print/laser engraving

panel colour=red (as seen on tv ;D)

custom upgrade sounds sweet to me, with exclusive buttons and wooden case

Sifam are UK based. They also make very good panel meters. I've got some salvaged Sifam collet knobs, which are destined for my MIDIbox FM, and possibly sequencer, if I can't get the nice thin Re-An push on encoder knobs. The Sifam Collets have different colour cap options, and the pointer part is a separate fitting, (you can get pointers, skirts and scales).

See picture. Good, but expensive. RS one off price works out at 2.3 Euro each, plus cap/skirt/pointer etc. (Eeek!)

sifam-knobs_thumb.jpg

2094_sifam-knobs_jpg84e0e0c92900094bfbdf

wewll, that´s good news all in all  ;D

my short "vote": powder coated aluminium with laser engraved text...

i´m a bit busy the last time, so i didn´t follow the thread consequently, but hey, if you decide to do stell panels with sikscreen, no problem, then i´ll have go for a custom panel  ;)

best wishes,

tobias

I ordered one powder coated panel for testing purpose. Only problem is CNC bit is 3mm diameter so the corners for buttons will have 1.5mm radius. After Mike order the buttons from Digikey and ship it to me, I will see how much exactly corners should be trimmed. I already did that for the Endorphin. It wasn`t too difficult and the price for that kind of panel is pretty fair. Big plus is that material milling and powder coating is done in same company and laser engraving can be done by ma personal laserman. Laser engraving of powder coated aluminum resulted in fine, clear and sharp edges (I tested various font sizes). I would take a picture of it but engraving is done on the back of my Endorphin panel so it is not that easy to reach it now when it`s mounted.  :-\ But you will see the final result when second test panel be ready.

np, there are some really minor scratches in the edge of the main pcb. I think they come from the transport and the movement of the i/o pcb. I would package them a bit seperatly. It's no big damage or anything, but if somebody want to put it in a tranparent case ( ;) ) he wouldnt perhaps has some little scratches on the top.

greeetz

O.k

It began here so I'll continue for now, it might be good for all the x0xb0x people.

I got the price quote from Sifam regarding the knobs.

"Thank you for your enquiry. We are pleased to submit the following quotation.

Please note that the normal minimum despatch quantity for these parts is 1,000 pcs, but as we have stock of the following we would be able to offer 500 pcs on this occasion.

500 pcs 3/04/DRP110 006 Black body with Grey pointer (K60637)

0.160 GBP each ex-works

500 pcs 3/04/TPP110 006 Black body with Red pointer(K60087)

0.160 GBP each ex-works

Carriage cost to be advised upon receipt of your order.

Despatch will be upon receipt of payment on this occasion but will normally be 2 weeks from receipt of payment.

Payment can be made by telegraphic transfer to our bank, for which there is a charge of £15 to cover bank charges, or by Mastercard/Visa. There is no charge for Mastercard/Visa payments.

This quotation is valid for 30 days.

Regards

Richard Hingston

Sifam Sales Office."

As you can see they have them both in regular and D shaft style and there is a very nice price drop

when buying 500 or more, I have asked, now that it's seems in my price range to buy / get a sample of both types

Sasha, you have those, so I guess they could fit the x0xb0x, they where one of the options, right ?

If there is enough interest then I will move this to a new bulk order thread,

Thoughts anyone ?

Asaf

Knobs_thumb.png

2096_Knobs_pngb1d6bce6b737de09a81bb579dd

np, there are some really minor scratches in the edge of the main pcb. I think they come from the transport and the movement of the i/o pcb. I would package them a bit seperatly. It's no big damage or anything, but if somebody want to put it in a tranparent case ( ;) ) he wouldnt perhaps has some little scratches on the top.

greeetz

As you know I`m living in Serbia, and here everything except books need to go to customs officers on approval. Very often they return me the package even I declare it as a gift, reason... "trade sample"  ??? >:( So, I need to wright special declaration with every parcel I send and pray they dont get suspicious about it. But, that is not the point. The point is no matter how good I wrapped the package they will cut it out and just throw it into bubble envelope. I reckon it could be shipped to Mars without a scratch if I only can ship it directly. Needless to say they are charging that package damaging pretty much. Fuckers!  >:(

Sorry for that, but I can`t do anything.

As you can see they have them both in regular and D shaft style and there is a very nice price drop

when buying 500 or more, I have asked, now that it's seems in my price range to buy / get a sample of both types

Sasha, you have those, so I guess they could fit the x0xb0x, they where one of the options, right ?

If there is enough interest then I will move this to a new bulk order thread,

Thoughts anyone ?

Asaf, there is one very important parameter when selecting the knob for x0x. It is shaft orientation. For x0x it should be North. I get some small Re`an P675S-09-D6S knobs but forgot to check the orientation so I ended with wrong knobs.  :-\ So, before proceeding, please ask them about shaft orientation so we don`t make my mistake.

Sasha,

I remember you talked about orientation, thats why I am asking about it now, as I do not know what to ask for  ???

When ordering from them they request details about the orientation,

As you know about it, should we wait for the pots to arrive ? or is there something specific to ask for

when requesting the orientation ?

Right now I'm just checking requests from people to see if we even have enough to reach at least 500 pieces.

I'm in for 100 round shaft for sure and for at least 50 D shaft, I would really like to use them on the MB6582 as well

when next batch of pcb's will be available.

Asaf