Optrex 40 X 2 alphanumeric LCD bulk order (closed)

nebula

This is an incredible value, which I am really proud to offer to the MIDIbox community:

Optrex DMC-40267NY-LY Display

• [+]40X2 Character LCD[+]MIDIbox-compatible (HD44780)[+]EVERY MIDIbox project on ucapps.de will work with this display, and it is required for MIDIbox FM and MIDIbox SEQ.[+]Recognized Optrex Quality[+]Bright LED backlight[+]Does not require the dreaded Negative Contrast Voltage, allowing simple 1:1 connection with CORE[+]Individually Tested by Yours Truly[+]LINK:
Datasheet

[img width=320 height=320]http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Optrex/Web%20Photos/DMC-40267NY-LY.jpg (click for larger image)

Yours for $4.00 each + shipping + $2.00 handling, in U.S. dollars.

Shipping varies by weight, destination and method.  By default I will quote your best shipping value.  An order of 10 displays weighs a lot more than 1 display!

I regret the need to charge the $2.00 handling fee.  I have already calculated that these displays including shipping and wire transfer fees cost me only slightly under $4 each.  The $2.00 handling fee covers the cost of packaging, shipping, and PayPal fees. 

Since there's a handling fee, there is no minimum order.  There is also no maximum number of displays you may order.

HOW TO GET IN ON THE ORDER:

Send me an email.  Remove "MIDI" and "BOX" from the following email address:

midislapbackbox@gmail.com

Indicate how many displays you would like, your full address, and your midibox.org forum name.  You will receive a PayPal invoice for the full amount including shipping.  If you would prefer a method of shipping other than standard parcel mail, please say so and I will accomodate.  MIDIboxers outside of Canada and USA will be required to spring for a trackable package.  Look carefully - the invoice will be coming from my usual (personal) address.

I live in Canada, near the U.S. border.  I have brought some displays to Canada, however most will stay in the U.S.  For this reason I am able to promise I will seek out the best postage between our two countries. 

While this display is not RoHS compliant, I will ship to Europe on the grounds that it is not to be used in a product to be "put on the market".  European buyers assume all responsibility for shipments that get held up or confiscated for this reason!

I am not a company who is mass-marketing stuff.  I just want to get some nice displays into the hands of MIDIboxers everywhere.  (This paragraph was edited, as the bulk order originally excluded Europe).

I have enough displays that I highly doubt this order will sell out.  If it does, priority will be given to individuals whose payment is received first.  All emails will be responded to in the order they are received.

I will do my best to answer questions posted in this thread, but if you want displays you must email the address above.

Finally:  this order will close at 12:00 PM EDT (noon) on Friday, September 28, 2007.  I need to have an email from you by that date!  If I am left with any displays after this order, I may elect to sell them, but they will cost more.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In another forum I was asked how I tested these displays.

I previously linked to

of me testing a few of the displays.  I was using a ribbon cable I stole from an old computer.  I left the IDC connector on one end and soldered the other end directly to the display pins on a MIDIbox CORE module.  As a result, the pinout was correct on the ICD connector.

I plugged a dual inline (DIL) header into the IDC connector, which left me some little conductors sticking out.  The backlight pins are on the opposite side of the display, and I soldered two individual wires directly to a single inline (SIL) header for that.  The SIL friction fit quite nicely into the backlight terminals on the display, and, while holding the display in my right hand, I put a small amount of pressure on the DIL header to ensure all 14 of the contacts made a connection.  Finally, with my left hand, I connected power to the core and ensured TK's MIOS copyright message appeared.

That was tough for me.  When I heard that these displays are not compliant I immediately concluded (prematurely?) that I would not want to risk being fined for shipping the display to Europe.  But I just looked at the web site at http://www.rohs.gov.uk , where the governing bodies behind RoHS seem to want to post their dogma.  In their FAQ section I shockingly found this:

Can I manufacture non-compliant EEE in-house for own use?

Yes, the EC's 'Guide to the implementation of directives based on the New Approach and the Global Approach' (the 'blue book') available at http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/newapproach/legislation/guide/document/1999_1282_en.pdf states note (30) in the side bar of page 18 under note (30) “…products built for own use are, generally, not considered as being placed on the market.†Therefore it is our view EEE manufactured for own use is not placed on market and therefore does not have to comply.

I'm willing to run with that if you are!

So ... I am prepared to ship to you, on the condition that you assume full responsibility, should the package be confiscated or what-have-you due to RoHS non-compliance.  I will also require that buyers pay for trackable packages with proof of delivery when shipping to Europe, as with all other destinations outside of U.S. and Canada.

I'm willing to run with that if you are!

So ... I am prepared to ship to you, on the condition that you assume full responsibility, should the package be confiscated or what-have-you due to RoHS non-compliance.  I will also require that buyers pay for trackable packages with proof of delivery when shipping to Europe, as with all other destinations outside of U.S. and Canada.

Hi Nebula, assuming full responsibility for 18 dollars worth of goods is no problem at all. The shipping with proof of delivery might be though, that sounds frakkin' expensive... do you have any indication how much that would be? (I ask this in the thread instead of via PM/email because there might be more fellow europeans interested in the total cost to own these babies).

Thanks,  Alex.

I agree with Alex here, I would be in for the same amount of displays... I'd even rather go for untracked shipping and assume full responsibility in case the letter got lost.

This is also due to customs, because shipping costs are part of what they charge the duties on. With higher shipping costs I come closer to the 22,- € limit - if I stay under that (incl. shipping costs) no taxes at all will be charged.

Best regards, ilmenator

Sometimes it helps if you write "Gift" or "Sample" on the package to avoid customs duty.

At least in Ireland we can get away with it anyway.

My friend ordered dj equipment from www.turntablelab.com (US), who put "sample" on the package and shockingly he didnt have to pay customs duty.

Nebula thanks a lot for going to the trouble of making that video.

Great to see what the product been tested in front of my own eyes!  ;)

Hi Nebula,

could you give a rough estimation on shipping costs to Europe, e.g. for 2, 5 and 10 displays? I´d still be interested in participating, but if the shipping like doubles the price it wouldn´t really be cheapter than ordering a few from a domestic ebayer anymore.

Thanks,

Seppoman

I will be going to the post office tomorrow, and I'll get exact pricing on an untracked shipment to Europe.  Canada Post has a feature called "international small packets" that I think will be acceptable - but I'll let you know for sure tomorrow.

ALSO:

I'm behind right now in sending out PayPal invoices, so please be patient.

There is one reasonably priced option for international small parcels with tracking.

It's the US Postal Service $11 Priority Mail® Flat Rate Envelope*.  You get there from the postage rate calculator by selecting Letter rather than Parcel.

They're 11.5 x 9.5 inches, fairly decent stiff cardstock, and rated to four pounds weight.  According to the pop-up that appears when you hit the question mark, they include "Tracking to major destinations".

I've used these to receive computer parts from the US many many times.  There's no requirement that the contents have to actually be a letter or documents.  Occasionally I've asked the shipper to wrap some clear tape around the envelope to reinforce likely tear points.

Speaking of which, what are the dimensions of the displays?  I downloaded the datasheet PDF, but all I got was 16 blank pages.  I'd like as many bubblewrapped displays as you can stuff into the above envelope ;D

* URL is for a 3 pound letter to Australia

Ilmenator: I'll check it out.  I am in Canada and I will be getting more USPS tonight or tomorrow.  The best thing you can do right now is send an email to the "slapback" address on the first post, give me your address, and mention that you want me to pursue that option.

I have a stack of small boxes I still haven't packed.  The only way I'd try it is to put the displays in a thin box, inside the envelope, because I'd be worried about the package being crushed, bent, dropped or tossed.  But I will try.

As of now I'm caught up with all domestic invoicing.  Nothing has shipped out yet because I didn't make it into the U.S. last weekend (which is extremely unusual).

All orders which are paid up by 4 PM Eastern Time on Friday, September 28, will be shipped on Saturday September 29.  All others will ship out by the following weekend.

All overseas orders will receive an invoice this coming weekend, and if paid, will ship out by the following weekend at the latest.

For everybody else who wants them but hasn't emailed yet ... well ... there are less than two days left!

Hi Nebula,

as your deadline is approaching, wouldn't you just post some example numbers for international shipping? In principle I'd still be interested in ordering, but in my case the displays are not for some actual project but meant as spares, so all depends on the total price. International fees vary largely depending on the carrier, total size etc. So without the information if e.g. 5-10 displays would cost 10$ or 25$ shipping, I don't know how anyone could decide if the total price is cool for him or not.

Since this is the only option already mentioned: how many displays would fit into this USPS flat rate thing when safely packed?

S

Hi Seppo and all,

I would be content to use that USPS Priority Flat Rate envelope.  I'm not going to stick bubblewrapped displays right in the envelope and ship because I don't feel it's enough protection, but I would stick a small box in there.  With that I'm confident I can fit 6+ displays into a package.  I've got lots of little boxes.

I would ask that you send me an email with your address and requested quantity even though we're still not 100% sure about shipping costs.  I will assess the cost of shipping for you this weekend and send you a PayPal "invoice" back.  If it's too much, then just don't pay it! 

My plan was to have much better shipping quotes last weekend, but in a very unusual set of circumstances I didn't get to the U.S.  I will be there this weekend and next weekend for sure, though.

By the way I also promised Canada Post shipping rates.  For an untracked international package to any international destination, insured for $100, 4-6 weeks delivery:

250-500g (up to 3 displays): $7.50

up to 1 kg (up to 7 displays): $12.60

up to 2 kg (up to 16 displays): $18.50

... so if you're not in a huge rush for delivery, I can ship out to international buyers at this rate TONIGHT.  Otherwise I'll verify the USPS envelope for you this weekend.

what are the dimensions of the displays?  I downloaded the datasheet PDF, but all I got was 16 blank pages.

If you have the latest Acrobat reader I think it will tell you the special font you have to have installed to view that pdf, and prompt you for it.

But there is also a pdf with just the drawing:

http://www.optrex.com/SiteImages/PartList/DRAWING/ue_20116.pdf