Notice the difference between 2 x0xb0xes

Sasha

It is not like we are voting for president. ;D I personally don`t build x0x to resemble as much as possible to TB303, I just like that sound. If the box with replacement parts sounds good enough to me, than I`ll build it with replacement if it is easier or cheaper to get. Some people suffer 303 syndrome and tend to  say that nothing is like TB sound. I reckon most of them cant notice the difference.  ::)

but who knows what sound we have in our ears. It depends on what 303 with what ic's we listened too. I dont think all people who used their 303 in a studio has the same chip. So what is "original" at all ?????

sry for bad explanation ;)

Hi everyone!

I'm the guy who recorded the samples.

@ dj3nk:

I absolutely agree with you! When I set out to find a replecement for the 536f, I chose the 945p because the 945 was used in some original 303's, too! In my opinion, this makes it an original part, too. ;)  The "p" model was simply the one that came closest to the 536f in terms of hfe-range.

@ all:

Also, we shouldn't overrate the replacement of the 536f. There are a _lot_ more parts in the analog-section of the x0xb0x than the 24 536f's, and some are a lot more crucial for the sound! Also, to make a _real_ comparison I'd have to take the _same_ x0x and replace all the 536f's with 945p's!

Maybe we should remind ourselves that _every_ 303 sounds a bit different! Because the analogue section of the x0xb0x is nearly identical with the 303, this is also true for the x0xb0x. My both x0xb0xes sound different from each other, but I'd never dare to say that one of them sounds bad, and they both got me the sound I was looking for. One cuts a bit better through the mix which makes it perfect for lead-stuff. Especially whenI flick the switch for the resonance boost mod (which hadn't been activated for the recording). The other one sounds a bit warmer to me and has a better square wave, which makes it great for basslines.

I can definitely hear the difference, but I'm not so sure I have a preference. 

On the sawtooth, both units have their merits, and I would probably use either one.  The second really just sounds a bit more overdriven to me.  Since I have other means of achieving overdrive, I might prefer to have the cleaner sounding unit, because it's much easier to make something clean sound dirty than it is to make something dirty sound clean.

On the square - I think I prefer the sound of the second. 

I'm not voting because I don't have a clue which is using the original component.  But I'm curious to know the truth!

Thank you LoopStar for showing here and giving your thought about 303 sound. I find this kind of discusions very interesting.

As 7 days have passed I`ll reveal the truth.  :)

x0xb0x 1 has 2SC536F

x0xb0x 2 has 2SC945P

But as LoopStar said, there are other things that affects the sound and we must agree that no 303 sounds the same. They are designed and made to be cheap affordable compact units and not reference synthesizers so they surely differ from each other.