Labels are inkjet printable vinyl sticker paper from Paplio (http://www.papilio.c...film media.html). It took a while to get a good formula for this stuff since it comes out VERY matte out of the printer and is a pain in the ass to cut. Thankfully it is pretty cheap so screw ups are not too big of a deal, down the road I may go with the 11x17 and do the whole thing instead of islands (I only had the 8x11). The adhesive is brutal on this stuff and I had no problem getting it to stick to the painted case. I used their clear coat spray with very light coats to give it a textured appearance that has a little bit of sheen to it. This vinyl is pretty soft so it absolutely needs something on top. They have a laminate for it but I have not used it yet. I made a set of punches (punched from the back) for the round holes and did the rectangular holes by xacto and straight edge.
The case is the standard one available at Mouser and was $49. The CNC work was done by FPE and came to $95 so the case was pretty reasonable. I machined the back myself. The wood sides were laser cut at Ponoko and that is the 5mm double sided veneer walnut. A couple coats of polyurethane and some sanding is all it took and the pics dont really do them justice, they came out better than I had hoped and the burned edges can be left as is IMHO. Best of all, 3 sets of those was $20.
Power wise I opted for a small toroid (3.2VA 7VAC) for power which can be switched out for a 9V one down the road if I decide to go with a AOUT at some point. I also plan to resurrect my 4xIIC board since more midi outs are definitely in order.
Edited by Altitude, 07 July 2011 - 02:40.