Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gatesphere

Sammich kits on eBay -- legit or bootleg?

13 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I found an eBay seller in China selling sammichFM and sammichSID kits.  Are these legit, or should I avoid them?  It doesn't look quite right... a bit fishy.

(Not linking here so I don't break any rules, but if Wilba or TK pm me, I can send links.)

These are probably fakes/clones, there have not been official kits available for a while now.

Many greets,
Peter

It's strange, the board which are shown are the Wilba and Nils version with their name on it !
Strange.

Maybe they bought the PCBs in one of the old group buys?

Yeah, or somehow got a hold of the board files and just made them as-is?

...or the photos were made from the first "legit" PCBs used for cloning... :)

This looks like one of them.

apparently some issues with them ;) 

I had been wanting to build a sammichSID for a while, but I couldn't find any PCBs or kits.

Finally I found a listing on eBay for a full kit which I've ordered, but now I'm wondering whether it's a bootleg...

eBay Listing: sammichSID with 2 x SwinSID installed / MOS 6581 8580 / SID Station synthesizer

In the attached image you'll notice that the label near the SID jumper shows 6580/6582, as opposed to 8580/6582.

Perhaps a bad copy? 

IMG_0744.jpeg

Unfortunately I can't check this so easily, because I would have to unmount the frontpanel PCB - but I don't think that such a typo would indicate a bootleg. The PCB color looks identical to the original one.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well, I'm building it now.. The kit seems to include all of the required parts. Nicely packed, labeled and separated, etc.

Hopefully it will actually work!

Cheers

IMG_1005.jpg?raw=1
Copy! circuits are also not exactly the same ;) funny!

Edited by Antichambre
1 person likes this

Well, I’m done with the build now and I can confirm that all the voltage checks worked out, so the PCBs seem OK... I did have a problem with the 7809 voltage regulator and the LCD screen, but that could have been partially my fault (I am a newbie with fat fingers after all).

I used MIOS to upload the v2_044 firmware, although my family has become impatient with me, so I need to break away for now.

More testing and hopefully final status tomorrow (expecting a second 6581 in the mail tomorrow as well).

Edited by dwestbury

OK, I finished off the last few fiddly bits of the build, so now I can officially say that "It's Done" and more importantly "It Works!"

So, needless to say, I'm a happy customer...

Full N00B disclosure of the areas I struggled with, include:

-Soldering ANYTHING with a larger ground connection (example voltage regulators)

- After much troubleshooting, I realized I had to redo all of the machine pins that connect the control surface and base PCBs. I hadn’t made them long enough to to establish good contact.

But, honestly everything else was really straight forward and it’s been a very rewarding experience to work on and play with the results.

I can’t say enough about the collective efforts hat went into the design, documentation, programming, etc. a real community effort.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I’m already working on a big brother MB-6582 project, so I can have multiple instruments playing at once. I know my experience with the Samm1chSID will come in handy...

Some pictures of my build:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0nGWZuqDGT9FaZ

But, now comes the inevitable ethical question...

If I did actually buy Chineese knockoff components, is anyone getting cut out of their commission on the PCBs, etc. (i.e., Wilba, TK, nILS, etc.) or are the volumes likely so low that it’s not a big concern?

Thanks again 

Cheers all! 

SammichSID.jpg

Edited by dwestbury