OPL3 (MB-FM) Chipset Bulk Order

Wilba

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOIC is quite easy to solder, unless you have a cheap 20W iron or a large iron tip. A WES51 soldering station with an ETP tip will do the job. I've done mods on a motherboard two weeks ago. The 0603 SMD resistors I soldered in didn't give me any trouble (using a cheap electronics tool set and wirewrap 30AWG wire). The hardest part was to get them out of the tape and reel packaging without losing them. ;D

If bridging between pins becomes a problem while soldering, a flux pen will help.

Thanks, not eddie, for that video link :) I've used the technique they call "drag soldering" a lot and with great success, but this video is very helpful to explain it. I added a link on the AOUT_NG wiki page - maybe TK wants to do the same on the OPL3 module page?

S

Hi,

I do surface mount soldering every day at work, and I also think that video demonstration is pretty good. I find the drag method much easier than soldering pins individually. I find a really big, round (like hemisphere) nosed iron tip is best for drag soldering. As mentioned in the video, too fine a tip won't hold the solder as well, but can also catch on thin PCB traces or chip pins, and cause damage while dragging.

The other method I use, which is not demonstrated in that video, is hot air soldering. Hot air works very well for small devices, such as SO8 packages. Just preload the pads with solder, apply flux, heat with hot air, place chip with tweazers, and heat just a little longer after placing chip. If this is done right, you can complete the whole process in just a few seconds. Surface tension snap down can also aid in device placement, so you don't have to be quite as careful with the tweazers. Hot air rework stations can cost a bit more than a good iron, but are useful if you do a lot of this stuff. It takes some practice though, and it is not uncommon for beginners to overheat chips this way, so don't start this method with any rare devices.

Bit hard to test really.

He has a spare OPL3 ISA sound card AFAIK, and SBTimbre ( http://www.midiox.com/jsoft.htm ) would be great to test some chips.

I could test one with the sound cards I already have, but it won't be until June though (I don't have any time until then).

Unless theres some sockets which clip onto the pins from the sides that nobody knew about!

And there are SOIC ZIF sockets ;)

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say that I got my OPL3 chipsets, thanks dude, you rock.  They arrived on 5/12, and I'm in the US (New York), in case anyone was wondering.  I'm havent been able to start mine yet becuase I cant figure out a good power supply solution, even after reading all the PSU related posts and the wiki I'm still confused...

Maybe someone can point me to a good commercial solution, that can power the OPL3 board and the core (I'm just building a core+opl3 basic midi-only basic version, no panel for now)

Sorry to go off topic...I can do a test of the chips when I figure out what to do for a PSU is what I was driving at....I actually tried to do a seperate post about it but something must have went wrong becuase it never showed up on the board...

-Matt

• 7 months later...

Anybody built MBFM with chipset from this bulk order?

I did and failed.

Interconnection tests passed OK but testtone app testing failed.

First I build it with alternative 16Mhz oscilator and I waited for the 14.318 Mhz to arrive to be sure problem isn`t there.

I`m pretty confident in my SMT soldering and I`m sure problem isnt there.