MB-SEQ V3/V4 Control Surface PCB and matching case

Wilba

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be nice Julien. Maybe we can find out how much it would cost for the 31 orders of just the panel and then additionally a case. Wilba made the panel and doug is making the case so I assume we might just do the panel if we go this route? Concerning the people who are on the mini bulk order who would be interested in doing this?

Regards,

echo

There is a DXF for the panel, but I am not sure how well the PCB would mount to acrylic... it's something I'm interested in though.

The design relies on "studs" on the back of the panel. If you get a panel from Schaeffer/FPE, you can get them to make threaded holes on the back (that you don't see on the front). Then additional 10mm spacers are glued to the back for more support for the PCB. I don't think threaded holes is possible with acrylic (especially laser cut only). Perhaps countersunk screws through the panel, on left and right sides and more for the LCDs, might be enough... and/or plastic spacers glued in the middle. I do not recommend screws through the middle of the panel, there is little clearance.

Ponoko is also a good option for a laser cut acrylic panel, they have a lot of materials in 3mm (even wood!), the only limitation is how to mount the PCB. If someone knows how to glue nylon to acrylic, that would be really cool :-)

PCB would mount to acrylic

he use a sandwich technique with 2 acryl panels. the lower one has holes, screw and spacers.

3495063921_cf8feefd1b.jpg?v=0

3495882464_7fbb88e3e2.jpg?v=0

In black satin you see no screw behind the upper panel ;)

it's a bit like threated holes from schaeffer if you cut the panel in 2 thicker ones.

it is very clever and very cheap to do !

his tonon + mortaise technique for the case is very good too.3040366545_412399a86e.jpg?v=0

o make threaded holes on the back
yeah as i did on SEQ_2U (dédicace à reboot)

I was thinking about a laser-cut acrylic frontpanel as a cheaper alternative to aluminium... so I'll draw up the panel in Inkscape as if to get them made by Ponoko... that will give us an idea how much they'll cost for a small quantity. I still don't know the best way to mount the PCB to acrylic... it could be the "studs" on the left/right sides are replaced with screws through the panel. A clear LCD window could also be made to fit into a cutout of the same size... they should just snap in without requiring glue. I was considering making an entire case out of acrylic but it's not that easy to make a sloping desktop-style case, it might have to be a box with "endcheeks" that give it the slope.

Please nag me if I haven't published panel layouts in Inkscape SVG files... err... give me a week :)

laser-cut acrylic frontpanel as a cheaper alternative to aluminium

after testing the resistance to weight of my monome's frontpanel, i think that Alu 3-4mm is better for frontpanel. Moreover the height of the spacer and encoder won't allow a 6-7 mm acryl frontpanel (the sandwich height with 2 acryl panels). But the case can be acryl ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i think i've not receive the mail :(

I'm only running a small bulk order for people willing to make/buy their own frontpanel and case.

"Small" for me is only 36 PCBs and less than US$1000 in parts...  ;)

This small bulk order is closed, it was announced months ago and people have had plenty of time to join.

Once Doug is able to make panels/cases as per the original design, I'll run another bulk order for more PCBs and parts.

• 3 weeks later...

Dude -- this is a VERY long thread I know, but ...

Yes.  Read the thread.  Find the Wiki link.  Add yourself.

Welcome to the MIDIbox forum, but be warned: people who don't try to find answers for themselves tend to get lambasted around here!

;)