Dual SSM2044 PCB Bulk Order

seppoman

Getting normal V/Oct CV response for cutoff is quite simple, although more than only a few resistors is needed. That's also because the input pin of the SSM is "wrong way round", i.e. -100mV will open the filter, +100mV will close it. On all newer Midibox apps, TK was so kind to include inversion flags for CV outs to adress that issue. Witout using a Midibox with bipolar AOUT, you'll need an inverting opamp cirquit with gain and offset trimpots. But it's really a quite simple issue, quite the same as is done in the SSM datasheet cirquit. I'll publish a schematic the next few days.

About the standalone filterbox plans: I've already posted a few things regarding that idea in this thread. Basically my opinion is that a simple filterbox is a rather boring thing - (after adding the mentioned CV adaption cirquit) you can simply use a few pots with added resistor for range adjustment to get manual control. That's what my first steps with that IC were. But after having listened to filtered stuff for a few days and tweaking the pots, I decided I'm not very much interested in a static/pot filter. It sounds nice and all, but the real squelchy stuff just isn't possible without having some synchronized envelopes etc. So you would probably want some additional analog (external CV sources/envelope follower etc) or digital (MBCV/MBSID/...) stuff to make the filter really useful.

Anyway, as the filterbox topic isn't really specific to the SSM PCB - you can do that with any CV controlled filter like CEMs, other SSMs, Moog/Roland-type filters etc without special adaptions), if you want do discuss that concept more in-depth, please start a new thread in the Design Concepts section of the forum.

S

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks a lot for the example arumblack, looks easy to follow and I recognize the concept, used in a ms 20 filter clone...I think.

... a simple filterbox is a rather boring thing ... the real squelchy stuff just isn't possible without having some synchronized envelopes etc. So you would probably want some additional analog (external CV sources/envelope follower etc) or digital (MBCV/MBSID/...) stuff to make the filter really useful.

You are right seppo, manual filter control alone can get boring, so... just want to know if it's possible to use some MB customized simple sequencer to control your boards?

Thanks,

Freddy.

sure, it IS an audio filter, with audio ins and outs - what else did you think it would filter? ;D

S

Really? So it is not for filter coffee?  :-[ I`m sorry seppoman, I would take back my order. I`m sure someone who needs it for audio would be interested in it, not me. :-\

;D  Sorry, i talk about ssm2044.

I didn' t understand that it is an audio filter with audio in and out.

I thought it is another filter like sid filter.

No, it is not just, it is difficult to say (i'm french).

I thought this filter take exactly the same place as sid filter, and replace it. I didn't thought it must be linked between sid audio out and mixer (for exemple).

So, it is better for me!   8)

Just to clarify: PCBs come from seppoman, SSM2044 chips come from me.

I will run an SSM2044 MEGA-SALE soon.

I am not too keen to order 600+ chips before I check this supplier is selling good chips. Yeah, I know it's only likesuchas US$3000 but it's still MY US$3000, so I'll first have to do a small order and check they're OK before buying up big.

I am ONLY going to buy enough to cover the orders on the bulk order page here:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/ssm2044_pcb_bulk_order

and there is absolutely no guarantee that I will order any more in future, so you have until the August 3rd deadline to adjust your quantity. You will not be able to increase your quantity after August 3rd unless other people decrease theirs, and I hope this does not happen or I will be MEGA-ANNOYED.

As I've probably mentioned before, postage to anywhere in the world is going to be dirt cheap because I know what I'm doing (compared to rip-off merchants on eBay) so the overall price of the SSM2044 is going to beat the eBay 50pcs bulk price even for the smallest orders.

Ok, bulk order is closed!

All people already on the Wiki list should have received a PM from me asking for confirmation, shipping and payment details. Those who already answered that PM have been sent a PayPal invoice, many have already paid, thanks for that :).

BTW, last week I've changed one resistor value on the parts list to make a well tuned keytracking of the cutoff frequency possible.

If you missed this bulk order, there’s still some chance to get PCBs. I will probably order a few spares, and some people might not react to their PM or invoice. So if you’re interested in any spare PCBs, you can enter your name on the waiting list. Note that there’s no guarantee that you’d get PCBs - and also don’t expect that Wilba has enough SSM ICs for you. Any remaining stuff will be served in the order of list entries.

I'll be mostly offline until August, 12th, so in case you send me any PMs/emails this week, please be patient. I also won't log in to PayPal from an internet café, so I will send the rest of the PayPal invoices on that date. After that, I will order the PCBs - with a lead time of 15 days, so they will arrive here in the last week of August.

Seppoman

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

as only a few people's payments are still missing, I have now ordered the PCBs, they're scheduled for delivery to my place end of August. I have ordered about 50 spare pieces, so several people can still enter their names to the waiting list and get PCBs :) Note that Wilba stated before that he wasn't planning to order more SSM ICs than are listed in the regular bulk order list. But even if you wouldn't get ICs from him, hongkongsuperseller/goodbuy711 sells these on eBay for a reasonable price, so no need to fear you couldn't eventually buy the needed ICs somewhere :)

The regular payment period for the bulk order was announced to end tomorrow. As I will again be away and busy during next week, I am extending the deadline for payments until next Sunday (24th). So if you didn't receive a PM or PayPal invoice yet, please contact me. After that, I will cancel unpaid orders/invoices. As said before, there are still enough spare PCBs so that you could still re-enter your name to the waiting list, I just don't wanna sit and wait for months until people finally decide they can spare some 20 Euros ;)

Thanks again for your interest and participation, I'll keep you updated on the further progress of the order :)

S

• 2 weeks later...

;D

sadly, the red came out a bit too pinkish for my taste, and it's not very strong in reality (fainter than on the pic), so you need good light to read the parts print. But other than that, the quality is very good. So I'm gonna build one module for final confirmation that everything works as expected and then send out your orders next week :)

happy filtering,

Seppoman

SSM_PCBs1.JPG

SSM_PCBs2.JPG