MIDIbox SID V2 Editor

TK.

V0.5 is available for download now, follow this link

ChangeLog:

• Bassline editor: "detune" and "phase offset" knobs added
  • Stereo link enabled by default for lead engine and disabled for other engines
  • Fixed problems with Envelope 2 for LEAD engine
  • Stereo link no longer enabled by default
  • Nicer buttons for stereo/osc link and for play/panic
  • Improved Toolbar (individual INIT core selection buttons added, save/load buttons removed)
  • FileHandler is faster now
  • FileHandler is now forcing .syx extension when saving
  • Drum/Bass sequence selection now using radiobuttons (for faster access)
  • Display offset features added to show correct values (i.e. midichannel 1-16 instead of 0-15)
  • Fixed an insane amount of cosmetic issues
  • Added ARP 'easy chord' button for RC28
  • fixed transmit-to-memory routines (null-pointer-exceptions occured on selection of a single patch to send)
  • play and panic buttons added in Sysex editor

Thanks Rutger, it's getting better and better! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice application that makes life easier!

I have not fully finished my CS yet, so this is just what I need.

However, I have some problems with the application crashing most of the time when i change from the editor window back to the list of presets.

I am running it on a fresh install of Ubuntu Linux.

I tried to run it from a terminal to get some clue to what was wrong... This is what I got....

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x7e3b7f24, pid=7299, tid=2113928080
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (11.0-b15 mixed mode linux-x86)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libasound.so.2+0x94f24]  snd_rawmidi_read+0x24
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/tommy/Desktop/hs_err_pid7299.log

hs_err_pid7299.log.txt

hs_err_pid7299.log.txt

However, I have some problems with the application crashing most of the time when i change from the editor window back to the list of presets.

Are you changing back by closing the editor window? Normally that's the only way allowed, but I just want to check...

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x7e3b7f24, pid=7299, tid=2113928080
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (11.0-b15 mixed mode linux-x86)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libasound.so.2+0x94f24]  snd_rawmidi_read+0x24
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/tommy/Desktop/hs_err_pid7299.log

This seems to be a really low-level error (i.e. outside the code of the editor). I'm not sure if I can pin-point or fix anything at this level.

Best,

Rutger

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it's a bug or it's justme doing something wrong.

When I go to the filter tab and move the left cutoff filter everything is fine. When I move the left filter, the right filter is also moving. Which is normal.

However, when I move the right filter cutoff , the left filter is also moving. But this time it makes a strange noise.

So moving the left filter is fine and moving the rigt filter causes noise.

I put in new sids but the problem remains, so the sids are not the cause. It could be the core however.

But then I don't understand why there is no noise when moving the left cutoff. The right one also moves so it should be the same as moving the right one.

Finally got my box expanded and thought i'd play around with the patch editor

.. it seems that the last patch transmitted to patch001 is being sent to all my banks, so if i send 'warm lead' to patch001 in bank D then bank A, B, C, E, F, G also receives 'warm lead' on patch001 ... i can't confirm much about this behaviour, i just discovered it today

If my box is the only one with this problem then the booboo is clearly on my side, so could anyone please confirm that they can upload patches in the very first slot to a random bank without overwriting the first slot of the other banks too ??

• 3 months later...

I am having a similar problem. I am on a Mac OSX 10.5.7, using mmj.

I can go edit a patch, no problems. I can exit that screen no problem, I go to edit another patch and it always crashes. 100% of the time.

Nice application that makes life easier!

I have not fully finished my CS yet, so this is just what I need.

I am running it on a fresh install of Ubuntu Linux.

I tried to run it from a terminal to get some clue to what was wrong... This is what I got....

Edited by Matrix12x

• 4 months later...

I am having a similar problem. I am on a Mac OSX 10.5.7, using mmc.

I can go edit a patch, no problems. I can exit that screen no problem, I go to edit another patch and it always crashes. 100% of the time.

Hmm... is the behavior the same if you leave a bit more time between exiting the editor and editing another? It could be that the midi-driver is still busy and not liking new access to it...

Some good new for all MAC users: the new OS release (Snow Leopard) features a Java update that improves MIDI! It means that Java now contains a decent implementation of MIDI classes for Java and we don't have to use the MMJ extension anymore!

@ Matrix: maybe this will solve your problem as well!

Rutger

Some good new for all MAC users: the new OS release (Snow Leopard) features a Java update that improves MIDI! It means that Java now contains a decent implementation of MIDI classes for Java and we don't have to use the MMJ extension anymore!

Unfortunately the new Apple extension doesn't support SysEx (yet). It also freezes Java when the device is closed.

Meanwhile mmj is only running under MacOS 10.4 and 10.5 if Java 32bit enabled (64bit variant has to be explicitely disabled in Java preferences).

Under MacOS 10.6, only the Mandolane driver is working correctly.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Just as an update, it seems to be working just find on OS X Snow Leopard as long as you install Mandolane. Kinda bummed you have to buy it (or keep removing the license file :P) but it works well so I went ahead and paid for it. I have not tried all features of the editor, but transferring banks seems to work without issue.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it's a bug or it's justme doing something wrong.

When I go to the filter tab and move the left cutoff filter everything is fine. When I move the left filter, the right filter is also moving. Which is normal.

However, when I move the right filter cutoff , the left filter is also moving. But this time it makes a strange noise.

So moving the left filter is fine and moving the rigt filter causes noise.

I put in new sids but the problem remains, so the sids are not the cause. It could be the core however.

But then I don't understand why there is no noise when moving the left cutoff. The right one also moves so it should be the same as moving the right one.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wanted to chime in that I'm also experiencing this exact issue. Definitely weird.

• 11 months later...

It also allows sort of realtime modification of parameters so you can adjust the internal patch on the SID while playing around with your patch (so you can immediately here the feedback). I thought someone was working on a VST version too? Either way, it's pretty awesome but not as good as the CS. Might be still useful for some complicated wavetable stuff even with a CS though.

• 1 month later...

uhmm

i have to say this editor solves a lot of stress

i use it expecially for the drum engine to write and edit quickly the patterns

but still a bit obscure...

for example i have 8 sequences in the up side and then these 8 sequences on the same line of the instrument channel

in wich way they interact? do they interact?

sometimes i'm not able to see what i wrote before when i switch back and forth between sequences

mmhh...

I have a problem / bug with this editor:

Editing seems to be working fine until I change the Cutoff Frequency. After that, whenever I edit a parameter, the sound mutes. If I then change the Cutoff again, the sound plays. If I then edit another parameter, the sound mutes again.

So basically, I need to always change the Cutoff after every little editing, to be able to hear the sound. Using the hardware only works.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

I investigated further and found out that if I change the Cutoff Frequency and then change another parameter, the midi connection gets fucked up. It is not the sammichSID. The Sammich just does not get any notes anymore until I change another parameter again.

The severe bug occurs with:

Win7 64bit

Motu Midi Express 128

I tried the editor with the ESI Romeo Midi Interface which uses standard midi driver and the editor does not work at all with it.

I also tried to connect MidiOX but it does not change anything.

Big let down as I intented to remote control the Sammich -.-

Any idea what I can do?