Click for full size view. More photos on Flickr.
sammichFM Assembly video made by Siempre La Luna (featuring backing track by TK!)
sammichFM was designed to be the "no excuses" MIDIbox FM synthesizer kit - i.e. for all those people who want a MIDIbox FM but consider building it with modules too time-consuming, too newbie-unfriendly and/or too hard to design and construct a control surface.
sammichFM therefore has the following design constraints/features, which support each other:
- looks a lot like sammichSID
- cheap (relative to fully modular MIDIbox FM with "pro-looking" control surface)
- DIY newbie friendly
- minimal control surface
- single "walwart"/AC adapter supply, no bipolar PSU and mains power wiring!
- "sandwich-style" stacked PCB design, no wires!
- laser-cut 3mm acrylic case by Ponoko, customization possible
- industry standard 2x20 character LCD, customization possible
- common control surface parts used, customization possible
- available as a complete kit, including PCBs, components, case, hardware and new OPL3 chipset!
MIDIbox FM Synthesizer features
- One Core module and one OPL3 module, fully integrated on one PCB with power supply.
- 4 simultaneous instruments of 6 voice polyphony each, plus drum kit. Each voice is a 4 operator waveform.
- Each instrument can be routed to one of four audio outputs, via two stereo 1/4" phono jacks.
- Five "BankStick" slots, so you can store 5 banks of 128 patches, 32 "Ensembles" and 16 "Drumsets"
- Minimal control surface with up/down arrow buttons for fast menu scrolling.
- 2x20 character LCD with support for low-power (25mA) or high-power (250mA) LED backlight.
- Potential for future upgrade to 32-bit microcontroller via an undocumented "daughterboard" header.
BATCH #1 SHIPPED APRIL 1st 2011. I HAZ SPAREZ!
BATCH #2 (50 kits) SCHEDULED TO SHIP MAY 1st 2011
Go here for more details: sammichFM Info